On this page
- Background: Closure of the 5th floor of Bennett Library
- Affected collections: Books HV to QA
- Providing temporary access to collections during the closure
- Questions and answers
- Which books are affected by this closure?
- What books were moved to the 6th floor and what was the process?
- How and when can I borrow books from the 5th floor?
- Where can I get more information?
Background: Closure of the 5th floor of Bennett Library
May 2023 update:
The 5th floor of WAC Bennett Library has been closed since November 2022 when asbestos-containing debris was found in the area. Testing revealed that the debris is coming from ceiling tiles with failing texture coat. After investigating several possible options to deal with the ceiling material, the university has decided the best course of action is to proceed with a total abatement project (i.e. removal) of the asbestos-containing ceiling tiles.
The project is expected to take 6-8 months to complete, plus another 2-3 months of planning during tendering and contracting. We are therefore planning for closure of the 5th floor for approximately one year.
Affected collections: Books HV to QA
The floor houses more than 400,000 books in call number ranges HV to QA, 25 staff offices, several heavily used bookable graduate study rooms, and bookable rooms and adaptive technology for students registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL). Staff who normally work on this floor have been relocated. Equipment has been moved to other floors where possible.
After the work is completed, the books will be returned to the 5th floor.
Providing temporary access to collections during the closure
Access to the collections from this area is a top priority for the library. We recognize the importance of access to collections for research, scholarship, course planning, student assignments, and other purposes. We are proceeding with a multi-pronged approach to providing access, as follows:
- May 2023 update -- We have moved high-demand items to the 6th floor. They are now available on open shelving and available for requesting.
- Also underway:
- Wherever possible, we are adding links to electronic versions of titles in our 5th floor collections (primarily older, public domain material)
- We are providing interlibrary loan access to inaccessible titles
- We are purchasing e-book versions of requested titles from the 5th floor to add to the collection
- We are purchasing additional copies of print for requested titles that are unavailable as e-books, or unsuitable for use in e-book form.
- Now completed:
- April 2023: borrowers were able to request 5th floor items
- May 2023: staff retrieved requested items and they were sent to pick-up points to be borrowed.
Questions and answers
Which books are affected by this closure?
5th floor books in the HV to QA call number range
What books were moved to the 6th floor and what was the process?
Creating space; selecting and moving high-demand titles
How and when can I borrow books from the 5th floor?
Can staff retrieve a book for me while the floor is closed?
What about new and returned books that would usually go to the 5th floor?
Where can I get more information?
For further questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.