On this page
This guide lists selected print and electronic information sources for global health research that are available to SFU faculty, students, and staff. Check the Library catalogue to find additional materials at SFU Library.
- Journal articles & databases for global health research
- Electronic journals with global health content
"LILACS is a cooperative database of the Virtual Health Library network that covers the health sciences literature published in the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean since 1982."
"Scientific Electronic Library Online is a consolidated electronic publication project to scientific journals following the Open Access model, that makes available in the internet, the full text articles from more then 290 scientific journals of Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Spain, Venezuela and other Latin America countres, totally free of charge."
- Critical Issues in Global Health. RA 441 C75 2002
- The encyclopedia of HIV and AIDS. RC 606.6 W385 2003
- Encyclopedia of the history of science, technology, and medicine in non-western cultures. 2 vols. Q 124.8 E53 2008
- Encyclopedia of medical anthropology: health and illness in the world's cultures. 2 vols. RA 418 E354 2004
- Global AIDS crisis: a reference handbook. RA 643.8 M36 2004
- Global burden of disease and risk factors [online]
- Also in print at RA 441 G5613 2006
- Global public health : a new era. RA 425 G56 2003
- Handbook of Ecotoxicology [online]
- Also in print at RA 1226 H36 2003
- International encyclopedia of public health [online]
- Also in print at RA 423 I58 2008
- Textbook of International Health. RA 441 B38 2009
- Third world health: hostage to first world health. RA 441.5 M33 2005
- Understanding global health. RA 441 U415 2007
- Worldwide health sourcebook: basic information about global health issues, including malnutrition, reproductive health, disease dispersion and prevention. RA 441 W68 2001
- The atlas of health: mapping the challenges and causes of disease. R 120 O36 2008
- British Columbia health atlas [online]
- HealthMap Global Disease Alert Map [online] - Google Maps mash-up combining data from many sources, including ProMED, WHO.
- ProMed [online] - Reporting on emerging infectious diseases & toxins. Archives available.
- Demographic and Health Surveys - Strong qualitative as well as quantitative data. Register to access datasets.
- FIRST 3.0 - Facts on International Relations and Security Trends - Global health statistics and indicators. Economics, conflict, human rights, military statistics as well.
- Global health statistics : a compendium of incidence, prevalence, and mortality estimates for over 200 conditions. RA 407 M87 1996
- OECD Health Data - Search by country or topic. Publications, documents, news releases, statistics.
- UNICEF – Children and Women - Maternal Health, HIV/AIDS, Child Survival and Health, Water and Sanitation, more.
- World Databank - World Development Indicators, Health, Nutrition and Population Statistics, and more.
- WHO (World Health Organization): Data and Statistics - WHO Statistical Information System, WHO Global InfoBase Online, Global Health Atlas, regional statistics.
- American Medical Student Association: Global Committee - Student advocates network to address global health disparities. Access projects, papers, AMSA’s International Health Journal. AIDS advocacy, Health and Human Rights, Leadership, Global Education & Opportunities.
- Action for Global Health - Multi-organization supported web site with news, weblinks, and publications including policy reports, facts sheets, briefing papers, surveys, and press releases.
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Infectious Disease Center - Up-to-date information including news, overviews, clinical pathways, resource lists, selected readings on: anthrax, avian influenza, botulism, influenza, pandemic influenza, plague, smallpox, tularemia, viral hemorrhagic fever. Includes guidelines and standards, topic-based links to journal articles, and more.
- Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy - News, images, selected readings, guidelines, weblinks on influenza, bioterrorism, biosecurity, food safey, other diseases and issues.
- International Centre for Infectious Diseases - Canadian organization. Site provides selected global health research news.
- Pan American Health Organization - Excellent source of information on public health topics - including data and statistics - with a focus on Central and South America, and the Caribbean.
- United Nations Population Fund - Information and free full-text research reports on global health topics with a focus on reproductive health, gender equality, and maternal health.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association - audio summary of an commentary on the current week's issue.
- National Institutes of Health
- PRI: Global Health and Development
- The World's Global Health Podcasts
World Health Organization - Public health information and related news from around the world.
- Global Health Bibliography - Global Health Consortium's massive, briefly annotated bibliography of citations listed by topic.
- Global Health Council - Global Health Council provides access to e-journals such as Global AidsLink, Global HealthLink, Global Public Health. As an institutional member, SFU has access to several services from the Global Health Council.
- Global Forum for Health Research - Identifies and provides information on neglected research priorities such as sexual and reproductive health, mental health, and climate change.
- Global Health Initiative - Emerging issues & public health threats, health governance & financing, HIV/AIDS & other infectious diseases, maternal & child health, urban & environmental health. Documents and papers, multimedia, publications.
- Global Health Reporting - Latest information on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and other diseases, conditions, risk indicators. Searchable by country.
- MedlinePlus: International Health - Excellent information portal for overviews, news, journal articles, research, reference, law & policy, statistics, in global health.
- Science and Development Network: Health - Key documents – background, reports, scientific articles, conference proceedings – and news, opinion & analysis, book reviews, practical guides on a wide range of global health topics. Browse by topic or region.
Please view the general Health Sciences subject guide to find additional resources.