Simon Fraser University Library will from time to time develop and display exhibitions that serve the needs of the Library. The Library may co-operate with Simon Fraser University Departments, other libraries, universities, governments, societies or individuals to develop exhibitions for SFU Library. SFU Library may also accept exhibitions from other entities when, in the judgement of SFU Library, the subject and character of the exhibition adds to the educational mission of the Library.
Display spacesSpaces in which exhibitions may be mounted include, but are not limited to, Special Collections and Rare Books, the Library foyer, the Map Room and Belzberg Library.
Purpose of exhibitionsExhibitions at SFU Library will serve one or more of these functions:
- Inform the SFU community about the holdings of the Library.
- Highlight current Library issues.
- Convey information about the operation of the Library.
- Show aspects of the development of knowledge or learning.
- Tell about the production, transmission, distribution, collection and/or use of texts or other Library resources.
- Promote the fundraising work of the Library.
- Provide information about an individual, group or event(s) of interest to the SFU community.
Qualities of exhibitions
- Whenever possible, exhibited material should include bibliographical descriptions and/or notes that provide a context for, and understanding of, the material displayed.
- Exhibitions should be eye-catching and of professional quality.
- All material held by the Library is regarded as suitable for exhibition.
Initiating an exhibitionLibrary staff should be encouraged to make proposals for exhibitions. Proposals by organizations from outside the Library may be considered. All proposals for exhibitions shall be made to the University Librarian.
The Art Gallery will initiate exhibits for the walls on the Third Floor by the computers.
Co-ordination of exhibitions - responsibility
Responsibility for the coordination of exhibitions, that is the timing, publicity, and receptions shall be as follows:
- For the third floor display cases: Associate University Librarian.
- For Special Collections and Rare Books: Head, Special Collections.
- For Belzberg Library: Head, Belzberg Library.
- For Maps: Maps/Data/GIS Librarian.
- For Third Floor walls by the computers: Art Gallery.
Preparation of exhibitions - responsibilityA curator of a given exhibition will be assigned at the time an exhibition is approved.
PrioritiesThe first priority for the exhibition space attached to Special Collections and Rare Books will go to exhibitions that use or relate to special collections and rare books.
The first priority for the exhibition space on either side of the reference terminals on level three will go to exhibitions by the SFU Art Gallery.
Borrowed materialsThe Library may borrow materials for exhibitions provided that proper insurance and shipping arrangements are made and that appropriate letters of transmittal are provided.
TimetableThe Secretary to the University Librarian shall maintain an overall timetable for exhibitions.