Welcome to the SFU Library.
This guide describes resources and services available to Library users who are not members of the SFU community (SFU faculty, staff, students, alumni). Members of the general public are welcome to use books and other library resources while at the SFU Library branches located at SFU Burnaby (W.A.C. Bennett Library), SFU Vancouver (Belzberg Library) and SFU Surrey (Fraser Library).
If you need further information, ask a Library staff member in person, by phone (Bennett 778.782.3869, Belzberg 778.782.5050 or Fraser 778.782.7411) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to purchase an external borrower card to borrow materials from the general collection.
External borrower cards can be obtained or purchased at the Circulation/Loans Desk of the Bennett Library, the Belzberg Library or the Fraser Library.
You will need a password to login to many of the computers in the Bennett and Fraser Libraries. Please ask a staff member at the Loans/Circulation Desk to create this for you when you purchase your external borrower card.
Note that neither the external borrower card nor the computer password will enable you to access the Library's licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) from home or elsewhere outside the Library, including computers in other campus labs.
All borrowing is subject to the Loans Policy and as described by Borrowing Library materials. External borrower cards for members of the general public can be purchased per year (12 consecutive months) or per semester (4 consecutive months). See External borrowers: Borrowing Library materials for further information.
External borrowers may:
- Use research assistance and materials at all three libraries
- Borrow general circulating material at all libraries, under the same loan periods as undergraduates. See Loan periods: Borrowing Library Materials for further information
- Request books that are out on loan to other users
- Request items, with the exception of specialized collections such as audio and video material, to be transferred from one campus to another
- Request up to three journal article photocopies per day to be transferred from Bennett to Belzberg or Fraser and vice versa (articles will be provided at a cost of $3.00 each)
- Access selected licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) within the Library buildings.
- Almost all databases, ebooks, and ejournals can be accessed from within Library buildings by external borrowers but there are a few resources that are not accessible to external borrowers even within the Library.
External borrowers may not:
- Access Fraser Library’s games room and games collection
- Borrow laptops or other equipment
- Use Interlibrary Loan services
- Access Reserve materials
- Access licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, ebooks, etc.) from outside the Library
- Access SFU's wireless network.
Giving to the SFU Library
Thank you for considering a gift to the SFU Library. Your gift will allow us to enhance the Simon Fraser University Library for the benefit of students, faculty and the community. With your help, we can continue to grow.