Welcome to the SFU Library.
This guide describes resources and services available to Library users who are not members of the SFU community (SFU faculty, staff, students, alumni).
Members of the general public are welcome to use books and other Library resources while at the SFU Library branches located at SFU Burnaby (W.A.C. Bennett Library), SFU Vancouver (Belzberg Library) and SFU Surrey (Fraser Library).
If you need further information, ask a Library staff member in person, by phone (Bennett 778.782.3869, Belzberg 778.782.5050 or Fraser 778.782.7411) or by email at email@example.com.
Access electronic resources
The SFU Library offers the public a few ways to access electronic resources.
You will need a guest log-in and password to use the computers in the library. Please ask a staff member at the Loans/Circulation Desk to create a guest log-in for you when you would like to use a computer. The amount of time you can use a computer with a guest ID is based on the terms set by each location.
Members of the public only have access to the Library's licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) on campus. Guest log-ins do not provide access from anywhere outside the Library, including computers in other SFU campus computer labs.
External Borrower privileges
To borrow materials from the general collection you will need to purchase an external borrower card.
To purchase an external borrower card, ask at the Circulation/Loans Desk at any of the SFU Library locations.
All borrowing is subject to the Loans Policy and as described by Borrowing Library materials. Members of the general public can buy an external borrower card for one year (12 consecutive months) or by the semester (4 consecutive months). See External borrowers: Borrowing Library materials for further information.
External borrower privileges include:
- Borrow and request general circulating material at all libraries
- Request items to be transferred from one campus to the other, with the exception of specialized collections such as media collection material
- Request up to three journal article photocopies per day to be transferred from Bennett to Belzberg or Fraser and vice versa
- (articles will be provided at a cost of $3.00 each)
- Use research assistance at all three libraries.
- Obtain a guest ID to use a public computer.
External borrower privileges do not include:
- Automatic access to the library’s public computers
- Access to Fraser Library’s games room and games collection
- Ability to borrow laptops or other equipment
- Access to Interlibrary Loan services
- Access to Reserve materials
- Access to licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, ebooks, etc.) from outside the Library
- Ability to use a designated borrower.