The SFU Library provides access to ebooks from many different publishers on a variety of platforms. Some of the ebook platforms include DRM (Digital Rights Management) to protect the content of their ebooks from copyright abuse. This means that you will encounter a variety of limitations in how much you can print, download and save from an ebook.
Access to ebooks on third party platforms is an agreement between the platform and the publisher; the library has no involvement, except for the right to purchase (or lease) the ebook on an ebook platform.
It is common for a publisher, or an author, to request additional DRM limits (on top of the platform's standard DRM restrictions). Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure which ebooks these additional limits apply to -- except when you attempt to do something that is beyond the limits, such as print 20 pages in one session if the publisher has set the limit to 15 pages on that platform.
- The copy and print limits on most Proquest Ebook Central books are based on a percentage of the number of pages in the book. (per book, per user session) Pages you can print = 30% and pages from which you can copy = 15%.
- Allows full book download for two weeks (14 days) using Adobe Digital Editions
- You must register for an account.
- Allows sixty (60) pages of PDF downloads from the online book. Downloaded pages may be saved and printed.
- Allows full book download (desktop) for various periods of time (1-7 days) using Adobe Digital Editions
- For Apple and Android users, BlueFire Reader (free download) supports ePub and PDF viewing
- Full book download to be viewed on Kindle: PDFs can be created in the eBook Full Text view and transferred using Send To Kindle
- Downloading in PDF and ePub is not available for Concurrent user level: limited user access (1 copies available).
- You must register for an account
- Allows PDF downloads of a single article or portions of a single article at a time
- Allows one chapter section to be printed at once (usually 2-4 pages) and does not permit PDF downloads.
- Limited to eight (8) simultaneous users