Welcome to the SFU Library. This guide describes resources and services available to organizations, institutions, or corporations who wish to obtain Library borrowing privileges for their employees. Your employees are welcome to use books and other library resources within the SFU Library branches at Burnaby (Bennett Library), Vancouver (Belzberg Library) and Surrey (Fraser Library), or an authorized company representative may obtain External Organization Borrower cards to borrow materials from the general collection.
External organization borrowers will need a password to login to many of the computers in the Bennett and Fraser Libraries. Authorized employees will need to ask a staff member at the Loans/Circulation Desk to create this password upon presentation of their external organization card.
Note that neither the external organization borrower card nor the computer password will enable users to access the Library's licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) from home or elsewhere outside the Library, nor to use computers in other campus labs.
External organization borrower cards can be purchased by an authorized company representative by submitting an Application form to Management, Loans Division. All borrowing is subject to the Loans Policy and as described by Borrowing Library materials.
Fees/Cards: $200.00 flat rate for the purchase of 3 individual cards ($5.00 replacement fee per card). Term: for a period of one year from date of purchase.
External Organization borrowers may:
- Use research assistance and materials at all three libraries;
- Borrow general circulating material at all libraries, under the same loan periods as undergraduates. See Loan periods: Borrowing Library Materials for further information;;
- Request books that are out on loan to other users;
- Request items, with the exception of specialized collections such as audio and video material, be transferred from one campus to another;
- Access selected licensed electronic resources (databases, electronic journals, etc.) from within the Library buildings.
External Organization borrowers may not:
- Use multimedia equipment and games held by the Fraser Library, which are only accessible to SFU Surrey students;
- Borrow 16 mm films, videos or DVDs from the SFU Library;
- Use Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery services;
- Access Reserve materials;
- Access licensed electronic resources from outside the Library.
- Request journal article photocopies;
- Access SFU's wireless network (a valid SFU computing account is required - click here for more information).