- Handbook of critical and indigenous methodologies GN 345 H364 2008
- Handbook of Indians of Canada E 78 C2 H61 , also on fiche CIHM no. 83409
- Handbook of North American Indians (17 vols.) E 76.2 H36
- International handbook of research on indigenous entrepreneurship HB 615 I578 2007
- Native American issues : a reference handbook, 2nd ed. E 98 T77 T56 2005
- Praeger handbook on contemporary issues in Native America E 98 S67 J65 2007
- Collecting and interpreting qualitative materials, 3rd ed. H 62 C566 2008
- Doing qualitative research : a practical handbook H 62 S55 2000
- Doing visual ethnography : images, media and representation in research, 2nd ed. GN 347 P56 2007
- Finding data on women : a guide to major sources at Statistics Canada HQ 1236.5 C3 F56 2007
- Handbook of emergent methods H 62 H24538 2008
- Handbook of environmental sociology GE 195 H35 2002
- Handbook of ethical research with ethnocultural populations and communities GN 495.4 T75 2006
- Handbook of ethnography GN 345 H365 2001
- Handbook of feminist research : theory and praxis HQ 1180 H35 2007
- Handbook of gender and women's studies HQ 1180 H36 2006
- Handbook of social research ethics In Process
- Handbook for social science field research H 62 H24528 2006
- Handbook of the sociology of racial and ethnic relations
- Handbook of the sociology of gender
- Handbook of the sociology of religion BL 60 D54 2003
- SAGE handbook of applied social research methods, 2nd ed. H 62 H24534 2009
- SAGE handbook of fieldwork H 62 S24 2006
- SAGE handbook of online research methods ZA 4228 S34 2008
See also SFU's Maps guide.
- Finding and Using Online Images Guide
- Subject heading in the Library catalogue: Indians Of North America - Canada - Maps
- Borden System Index Grid [Canada] G 3401 E10 2005 B67 S82 - Started in 1952, by archaeologist, Charles E. Borden, it is a uniform and simple system or code. Widely used, e.g. National Museum of Man and others..
- Aboriginal Mapping Network - a cooperative website that supports aboriginal and indigenous peoples facing similar issues such as land claims, treaty negotiations and resource development.
- Aboriginal Geographical Names of Canada : An Annotated Bibliography FC 36 Z958 1997
- Atlas of Indian reserves & settlements of Canada G 1115 E1 A85 1971
- Atlas of the North American Indian. Rev ed. Bennett Library, Bennett Reference E 77 W28 2000
- Canada, Indian and Inuit communities and languages G 3401 E10 1980
- Canadian atlas of aboriginal settlement G 1116 E1 C35 1994
- Concise historical atlas of Canada
- Maps of Indian reserves and settlements in the national map collection, 2 vols. G 3401 E1 C35 1980
- Maps: GIS Windows on Native Lands, Current Places and History ; Native Geography (ESRI Conservation Program) Includes articles about First Nations' use of GIS
- Northwest Territories Official and Traditional Community Names - Map -Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre
- Residential schools in Canada G 3401 E10 2001 C30
- Stolen Lands Broken Promises - chapter 10 - Maps and Surveys - Union of BC Indian Chiefs site -- sources
- A Stó:lo-Coast Salish Historical Atlas G 1171 E1 S86 2001
- A traveller's guide to aboriginal B.C. E 78 B9 C68 1996
- Treaty Maps:
- Treaties, Surrenders, Agreements -Library Archives Canada- scroll down in left column for "maps", and "sources consulted."
- First Nations Peoples of British Columbia. B.C. Ministry of Education. Aboriginal Education. Includes names of groups, language groups
- Atlas of Canada
- Timelines and Maps - Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Other General:
- ARTstor : A repository of hundreds of thousands of digital images and related data
- MIRAGE—Map Image Rendering Database for Geoscience: MIRAGE is a digital image library of Geological Survey of Canada maps. See also Digital Geoscience Maps interactive map tool
GEOSCAN Geology, Earth Sciences, publications from Geological Survey of Canada. It is a repository of Earth Sciences Sector bibliographic material which may contain digitized images and maps
- The atlas of early man. 1976. Map Collection Reference CB 311 H35
- The New World's old world : photographic views of ancient America. Bennett Library E 61 N53 2003
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection—Historical Maps. Hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.
- The Times archaeology of the world. Bennett Reference G 1046 E15 T55 1999
- The world atlas of archaeology. Map Collection Reference G 1046 E15 W6 1985
Want to find out how to cite images? Check out the SFU Library's guide on Images for information on locating and using images as well as how to cite them.
The Library has many statistical yearbooks for countries, regions, and international organizations. Search the catalogue using the keywords "statistical (yearbook or abstract)" and the country, region, or organization name, e.g., "statistical (yearbook or abstract) Latin America."
BCSTATS - The place to start for current BC socio-economic statistics, including quick facts and historical tables. Note that SFU researchers have access to several key BC Stats publications online.
- Aboriginal Peoples of British Columbia - main page for statistics on First Nations in B.C. - includes 2006 Census
- Regional analysis of health statistics for Status Indians in British Columbia (2001- )
Provides current and historical Canadian socio-economic statistics as well as descriptions of Statscan's products and services. Always check the SFU Library catalogue to see if we own the material that you find cited at the Statistics Canada site
- Aboriginal Community Data Initiative
Aboriginal Peoples of Canada - Main Page
- Aboriginal People Survey 89-637-XIE
- 2006 Aboriginal Population Profile
- 2001 Census Aboriginal Population Profile
- Aboriginal peoples living off-reserve in Western Canada: estimates from the Labour Force Survey (71-587-XIE )
- Collecting data on Aboriginal people in the criminal justice system: methods and challenges (85-564-XIE)
- Canadians in Context - Aboriginal Poplulation
- First Nations Statistics
Statistics Canada, General:
- Historical Statistics of Canada HA 746 U7
Statistics Canada Publication Indexes
- Canadian Census 2001, Topic-based Tabulations ; Canadian Census 2006
- Canadian Social Trends (11-008-XIE) - Quarterly, discusses the social, economic, and demographic changes affecting the lives of Canadians; contains the latest figures for major social indicators.
- CANSIM Time series of Canadian data on national accounts, financial institutions, corporate finance, government, population, labour, prices, construction, investment, trade, travel, and industry.
- E-Stat Some Canadian census data as well as access to CANSIM II - allows creation of customized graphs and maps. Note that the E-Stat version of CANSIM is only updated once a year. Use CANSIM (above) for the most current data.
Index of Downloadable Statistics Canada Publications
- Juristat - (85-002) - crime statistics, homicide, shelters for women, prostitution, etc.
- Health Canada: First Nations and Inuit Health
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada - Research & Statistics
- First Nations Profiles
- Standing Committee on Aboriginal Peoples (Senate)
- Fedstats - over 70 agencies in the United States Federal Government.
- US Bureau of the Census. -detailed US socio-economic statistics based on the US Census and other surveys.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: HA 202 A2 ( recommended). Updated annually, provides detailed source notes so you can locate the original source from which the tables are composed. Largely federal, also many relevant state-level tables. Note! Tables within one edition do not necessarily correspond to tables containing the same information in another edition. Table numbering varies from edition to edition.
- Historical Statistics of the United States: fully searchable database. Can graph individual tables and create customized tables and spreadsheets.
- Asian Development Bank - 64 members. Choose a "country" or "topic" from pull down menus.Choose "topics"gender and development" to find a report on a particular country, or "microfinance".
- Genderinfo - USE INTERNET EXPLORER. Takes a bit of time to load.
- Statistical yearbook. United Nations. 1948- HA 12.5 U63
- Statistical yearbook. UNESCO. 1968- AZ 361 U45
- United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWAGE) - Women's Watch - groups information about world's women
- UNDATA (Formerly known as "UNSTATS - United Nations Statistical Common Database". - check "country profiles" and "topics" links. - comparative data from many UN sources. e.g. In the first box, look for "indicators on men & women" by countries (maternity benefits, part-time employment), "key global indicators", "World development indicators"
- World Bank -
Direct access to more than 600 development indicators with time series for 208 countries
- Europa World
- International historical statistics : Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 4675 M552 2003
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 1107 M5 2003
- International historical statistics : the Americas, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 175 M55 2003
Provides information about each country in the world in a standardized format. Brief statistical information.
- Index to international statistics : IIS. 1983- Bennett Reference Indexes HA 155 I58
- Research Data Library - SFU Library's collection of machine-readable files, including Cansim, Citibase, IMF statistics, social science data files from many national and international sources, and data from individual researchers and private organizations. Check the Research Data Library Catalogue for a list of data files.
- SourceOECD - Click the Statistics tab, browse contents on the left side of the screen for available databases.
- Statistical abstract of the world. Belzberg Reference and Bennett Library, HA 155 S7 1997
- Statistical Resources on the Web - (Univ Michigan Library), this site links to statistical resources on a wide variety of topics from all around the world.