On this page
- Handbook of critical and indigenous methodologies [print]
- Handbook of Indians of Canada [print]
- Handbook of North American Indians [print]
- International handbook of research on indigenous entrepreneurship [print]
- Native American issues: a reference handbook [print]
- Praeger handbook on contemporary issues in Native America [print]
Maps and images
Library guides, such as Finding and using online images, will help you get started in your search.
- Borden System Index Grid [Canada] -- started in 1952, by archaeologist, Charles E. Borden, it is a uniform and simple system or code [print]
- Aboriginal Geographical Names of Canada: An Annotated Bibliography [print]
- Atlas of Indian reserves & settlements of Canada [print]
- Atlas of the North American Indian [print]
- Canada, Indian and Inuit communities and languages [print]
- Canadian atlas of aboriginal settlement [print]
- Concise historical atlas of Canada [online or print]
- Maps of Indian reserves and settlements in the national map collection, 2 vols. [print]
- A Stó:lo-Coast Salish Historical Atlas [print]
- A traveller's guide to aboriginal B.C. [print]
- The atlas of early man. [print]
- The New World's old world : photographic views of ancient America [print]
- The Times archaeology of the world [print]
- The world atlas of archaeology [print]
- Canadian First Nations Treaty Map Index
- Treaties, Surrenders, Agreements -- Library Archives Canada- scroll down in left column for "maps" and "sources consulted."
- First Nations Peoples of British Columbia -- B.C. Ministry of Education. Aboriginal Education. Includes names of groups, language groups
- Atlas of Canada & Map Archives
- Timelines and Maps -- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Maps: GIS Windows on Native Lands, Current Places and History & Native Geography (ESRI Conservation Program) -- Includes articles about First Nations' use of GIS
- Northwest Territories Official and Traditional Community Names & Map -- Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre
- Residential schools in Canada [print]
- Stolen Lands Broken Promises - chapter 10 - Maps and Surveys -- Union of BC Indian Chiefs site sources
- Concise historical atlas of Canada [online or print]
- Aboriginal Mapping Network -- a cooperative website that supports aboriginal and indigenous peoples facing similar issues such as land claims, treaty negotiations and resource development
- ARTstor -- A repository of hundreds of thousands of digital images and related data
- MIRAGE—Map Image Rendering Database for Geoscience -- MIRAGE is a digital image library of Geological Survey of Canada maps. See also Digital Geoscience Maps interactive map tool
GEOSCAN -- Geology, Earth Sciences, publications from Geological Survey of Canada. It is a repository of Earth Sciences Sector bibliographic material which may contain digitized images and maps
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection—Historical Maps -- hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.
Want to find out how to cite images? Check out the SFU Library's guide on Images for information on locating and using images as well as how to cite them.
The Library has many statistical yearbooks for countries, regions, and international organizations. Search the Catalogue using the keywords statistical (yearbook or abstract) and the country, region, or organization name, e.g., statistical (yearbook or abstract) Latin America.
BCSTATS -- The place to start for current BC socioeconomic statistics, including quick facts and historical tables. Note that SFU researchers have access to several key BC Stats publications online
- Aboriginal Peoples of British Columbia - main page for statistics on First Nations in B.C. - includes 2006 Census
- Regional analysis of health statistics for Status Indians in British Columbia (2001- )
- Aboriginal Community Data Initiative
Provides current and historical Canadian socio-economic statistics as well as descriptions of Statscan's products and services.
Aboriginal Peoples of Canada - Main Page
- Aboriginal People Survey 89-637-XIE
- 2006 Aboriginal Population Profile -- Aboriginal Children's Survey 2006: Family, Community and Child Care
- 2001 Census Aboriginal Population Profile
- List of British Columbia Communities from the Census
- Aboriginal peoples living off-reserve in Western Canada: estimates from the Labour Force Survey (71-587-XIE )
- Collecting data on Aboriginal people in the criminal justice system: methods and challenges (85-564-XIE)
- Canadians in Context - Aboriginal Population
- First Nations Statistics
- Statistics Canada, General
- Historical Statistics of Canada [online or print]
Statistics Canada Publication Indexes
- Canadian Census 2001, Topic-based Tabulations; Canadian Census 2006
- Canadian Social Trends (11-008-XIE) - Quarterly, discusses the social, economic, and demographic changes affecting the lives of Canadians; contains the latest figures for major social indicators.
- CANSIM Time series of Canadian data on national accounts, financial institutions, corporate finance, government, population, labour, prices, construction, investment, trade, travel, and industry.
- E-Stat Some Canadian census data as well as access to CANSIM II - allows the creation of customized graphs and maps. Note that the E-Stat version of CANSIM is only updated once a year. Use CANSIM (above) for the most current data.
Index of Downloadable Statistics Canada Publications
- Juristat - (85-002) - crime statistics, homicide, shelters for women, prostitution, etc.
- Health Canada: First Nations and Inuit Health
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada - Research & Statistics
- First Nations Profiles
- Standing Committee on Aboriginal Peoples (Senate)
- Fedstats -- over 70 agencies in the United States Federal Government.
- US Bureau of the Census -- detailed US socio-economic statistics based on the US Census and other surveys.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States -- Updated annually, provides detailed source notes so you can locate the original source from which the tables are composed. Largely federal, also many relevant state-level tables. Note! Tables within one edition do not necessarily correspond to tables containing the same information in another edition. Table numbering varies from edition to edition. [online or print]
- Historical Statistics of the United States -- fully searchable database. Can graph individual tables and create customized tables and spreadsheets.
- Asian Development Bank -- 64 members. Choose a "country" or "topic" from pull-down menus. Choose topics "gender and development" to find a report on a particular country, or "microfinance".
- United Nations Statistical yearbook [print]
- UNESCO Statistical yearbook [print]
- United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWAGE) - Women's Watch - groups information about world's women
- UNDATA -- comparative data from many UN sources. Check "country profiles" and "topics" links. e.g. In the first box, look for "indicators on men & women" by countries (maternity benefits, part-time employment), "key global indicators", "World development indicators"
- World Bank
World Development Indicators -- direct access to more than 600 development indicators with time series for 208 countries
General and Worldwide
- Europa World
- International historical statistics: Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2000 [print]
- International historical statistics: Europe, 1750-2000 [print]
- International historical statistics: the Americas, 1750-2000 [print]
- Index to international statistics: IIS. 1983- [print]
- Research Data Library -- SFU Library's collection of machine-readable files, including Cansim, Citibase, IMF statistics, social science data files from many national and international sources, and data from individual researchers and private organizations. Check the Research Data Library Catalogue for a list of data files
- SourceOECD -- Click the Statistics tab, browse contents on the left side of the screen for available databases
- Statistical abstract of the world [print]
- Statistical Resources on the Web -- (University of Michigan Library), this site links to statistical resources on a wide variety of topics from all around the world