SFU graduate students are encouraged to book consultations with Research Commons staff and partners.
To book a consultation with your Liaison Librarian, see Liaison Librarians.
Data Services Librarian
To book a consultation for assistance with research data services, please see Research Commons: Data Services Librarian.
Digital Scholarship Librarian
To book a consultation for assistance with developing a digital project, open access publishing, or developing an online academic presence, please contact Rebecca Dowson.
GIS consultations (typically 30 - 60 minutes) are available to provide in-depth assistance to researchers from any discipline. A consultation can be focused on topics such as the following: introducing GIS, technical issues, searching for geospatial data, answering questions specific to your project, and demonstrating features and techniques.
Consultations are facilitated by the GIS & Map Librarian or the Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator, depending on the focus of the consultation. To book a consultation, please fill out the GIS consultation request form.
Visual Analytics consultations
Visual analytics (VA) combines interactive data visualization and analytical reasoning to enable richer insights into many types of data. VA consultations (typically 30 - 60 minutes) are available to provide in-depth assistance to researchers from any discipline. A consultation can be focused on topics such as the following:
- introducing exploratory data analysis using interactive visualization
- determining what kinds of additional data might be useful
- technical issues
- integrating different types of data
- answering questions specific to your project
- demonstrating features and techniques of common visualization methods and tools.
Consultations are facilitated by a member of the Vancouver Institute of Visual Analytics, part of the SFU KEY Big Data Initiative, either a faculty member or a Graduate Peer Va Facilitator, depending on the focus of the consultation. To book a consultation, please fill out the VA Consultation Request Form.
Graduate Writing Facilitators
Graduate Writing Facilitators can assist with:
- Academic writing, including suggestions to improve argumentation, coherence and flow
- Literature reviews, proposal writing, project and time management, and more.
For more information on graduate writing consultations, see Writing Services Offered by the Research Commons.
Tim Mossman can assist with:
- Academic writing: word usage, grammar, sentence structure, making connections between ideas, elaborating and expanding arguments, logical reasoning, paraphrasing techniques, and more.
- Academic reading: skimming and scanning, critical reading, comprehension and analysis, and more.
- Conversational and academic speaking and listening: comprehensibility, presentation techniques, pronunciation, pragmatic competence, and more.
- To book a consultation with the EAL/ESL Specialist, use our Consultation Request form.
Graduate NVivo Facilitators can assist with:
- Orienting researchers to NVivo software for organizing, coding, and analysing textual, audiovisual, social media and other data.
- Other uses of NVivo such as organizing literature reviews, and handling survey data.
To book a consultation with a Graduate NVivo Facilitator, use our NVivo Consultation Request form.
Important: Graduate Peer NVivo Facilitators can use sample data to demonstrate the software. If you would like to bring your own project file, please review these pre-consultation guidelines prior to your appointment.
Assistant for Theses
To book a consultation for assistance with thesis formatting and submission, use our booking system.