On this page
You may also wish to check out the library guide: Global Health Information Resources for additional ideas.
Selected encyclopedias and handbooks
Use encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks to obtain definitions and overviews of a topic and also to identify key authors.
- Ashgate research companion to the globalization of health
- Global burden of disease and risk factors
- Handbook of research on the impact of COVID-19 on marginalized populations and support for the future
- International encyclopedia of public health
- Routledge handbook of medical anthropology
Databases for journal articles
How to find journal articles tutorial.
The databases below will provide articles on information technology and society. If the full-text of the article is not available, use the "Get@SFU" link to find it.
- Sociological Abstracts -- key database for sociology and anthropology journals and for issues such as structural inequalities
- Global Health -- information on international health, biomedical life sciences, non-communicable diseases, public health nutrition, food safety and hygiene, and much more from around the world.
- Academic Search Premier Multidisciplinary index to academic & popular journals. Also indexes women's studies journals.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies
- Social Sciences Full Text Multi-disciplinary database
- Women's Studies International - for any issues related to gender, sexuality and women's studies
- Web of Science - Search citations and abstracts for journal articles, conference proceedings, and other resources in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities. Can also be used for cited reference searches, and citation analysis of research.
- GEOBASE: Covers human geography, including topics such as economic growth, sustainable development and economic impact
- Historical Abstracts - Abstracts of journal articles, book reviews, dissertations on the history of the world outside, excluding Canada and the United States, since 1450. Access is limited to 6 users at a time. Users will be automatically logged out of the database after 12 minutes of inactivity.
- Business Source Complete - For business, labour and economic aspects
- CBCA Full Text Business - Canadian focus: Trade journals, general business publications, academic journals, topical journals, and professional publications
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris - public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups
- Canadian Newsstream - covers Canadian newspapers, including Vancouver Sun, Globe & Mail
- Google Scholar: Indexes articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies and preprint repositories
- Annual reviews - Literature reviews and topic overviews in the sciences and social sciences. An excellent starting point for learning about a topic and for finding key articles on trending research.
- Ginestra, Mitchell, O. J. ., Anesi, G. L., & Christie, J. D. (2022). COVID-19 Critical Illness: A Data-Driven Review. Annual Review of Medicine, 73(1). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-med-042420-110629
- Singer, Bulled, N., Ostrach, B., & Lerman Ginzburg, S. (2021). Syndemics: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach to Complex Epidemic Events Like COVID-19. Annual Review of Anthropology, 50(1), 41–58. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-anthro-100919-121009
- Taylor. (2022). The Psychology of Pandemics. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 18(1). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-072720-020131
- Zhang, Yang, S., & Jia, P. (2022). Cultivating Resilience During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Socioecological Perspective. Annual Review of Psychology, 73(1). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-030221-031857
Databases for statistics
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
A central repository and dissemination service for machine-readable social science data. The Archive receives, processes, and distributes data on social phenomena occurring in over 130 countries
- Statista - gathers data from around the world and also provides the original source from which the statistics were obtained.
Primary documents databases for historical research
Search these databases for the fulltext of newspapers, magazines, journals, manuscripts, and more
AM explorer - Search for primary source material covering the social sciences and humanities from multiple Adam Matthew Digital databases. Includes monographs, manuscripts, newspapers, maps, photographs and archival documents covering history, literature, culture and politics.
Gale Primary Sources - Search across multiple Gale collections for monographs, manuscripts, newspapers, photographs, maps, and other primary sources.
Periodicals Archive Online - Full-text of hundreds of historically significant academic journals mainly in the humanities and social sciences from the early 1800s onwards. Note that current articles or journals are not included in this collection.
ProQuest Historical Newspapers - Historical full page and article images from the Globe and Mail, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Times Colonist, the Province, the Vancouver Sun, and the Washington Post from the mid to late 19th century with embargoes for the last 3 to 18 years depending on the newspaper.
Find books in the Library
How to use the Library Catalogue [guide]
Try searching by keywords and then limit by "Subject" (left-hand column) and "Resource type" of "books":
Try searches such as:
- (epidemic* OR pandemic*) AND (class OR sex OR caste OR race OR racial OR gender OR minorit*)
- (Covid-19 OR Coronavirus) AND (inequal* OR unequal OR race OR racial OR gender OR minorit*) AND (impact* OR affect*)
- structural AND (inequalit* OR inequit* OR race OR class OR gender*) AND (covid OR "global pandemic*")
- (medic* OR health) AND (aborig* OR indigen*) AND canad*
- [name of a disease] AND [name of a group]
- (Covid-19 OR Coronavirus) AND [name of a group]
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
- Analysis of Infectious Disease Problems (Covid-19) and Their Global Impact
- Coronavirus Human, Social and Political Implications
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks, environment and human behaviour : international case studies
- Covid-19 : science to social impact
- COVID-19 in the Global South: Impacts and Responses
- COVID-19's Political Challenges in Latin America
- COVID's impact on health and healthcare workers
- Equity and access : health care studies in India
- Getting to Zero : a Doctor and a Diplomat on the Ebola Frontline
- Global Pharmaceutical Policy
- Health, illness, and society : an introduction to medical sociology
- Impact of sex and gender in the COVID-19 pandemic: case study
- Living with pandemics : places, people and policy
- Mapping COVID-19 in Space and Time : Understanding the Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of a Global Pandemic
- Pandemic Solidarity : Mutual Aid during the Covid-19 Crisis
- Pandemics : a very short introduction
- Pandemics, Politics, and Society : Critical Perspectives on the Covid-19 Crisis
- Plague a very short introduction
- Poor people's medicine Medicaid and American charity care since 1965
- Post-Trial Access to Drugs in Developing Nations: Global Health Justice
- Power of plagues
- Race, ethnicity, gender and other social characteristics as factors in health and health care disparities
- Racial prescriptions : pharmaceuticals, difference, and the politics of life
- Social injustice and public health
- Viral pandemics : from smallpox to COVID-19
Browse subject headings for books
Browse by Subject (change the default "title" to "subject"). Browse by Subject will only result in books, not book chapters or journal articles.
- [name of disease] -- History
- [name of disease] -- Social aspects
- [name of disease] -- [name of country or region]
- Communicable diseases -- History
- Ebola virus disease
- Epidemics -- History
- Epidemics -- Prevention and control
- Epidemics -- Social aspects
- Health services accessibility
- HIV infections - History
- HIV infections - Social aspects
- Medical Anthropology
- Pandemics: See Epidemics
- Plague -- History
- Public health -- Social aspects
- Social medicine
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Statistics Canada - is the major statistical gathering agency of the Canadian government. It publishes the "whole range of statistics on the economic and social activities of the Canadian people". StatsCan also publishes the Census of Canada at five year intervals.
- Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Searching using Google
Search results limited to words in the title of document, using "intitle:". Use capital "OR" for synonyms. Put braces "(__ OR__ )" around words with the same meaning (synonyms). "AND" is assumed by Google so you don't need to include it in your search strategy.
Refine your searches
- Use intitle: to force Google to find those words in the titles of results. Use quotation marks ("") to search for phrases
- Use site: to specify results from a government web site
Search for documents from a particular country's domain. Web country codes
- From a Canadian website