On this page
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- Evaluating sources
- Student Learning Commons & Writing help
- Other guides:
Selected reference sources
A Feminist Glossary of Human Geography [print]
Examples of keyword combinations
ecofemini* or eco-femini*
(gender or women or femini*) and (environ* or ecolog*) and (race or class)
(gender or women or femini*) and (environ* or ecolog*) and (activis* or protest* or resist*)
(gender or women or femini*) and (environ* or ecolog*) and sustain* and develop*
environ* and justice
environ* and (policy or policies or law or legislat*) and [name of place or region]
Subject headings & books about an author
Browse search the Catalogue for an author (enter the last name, and then the first name) to find critical or biographical books.
"Subjects" found within the records of books will lead you to other books on the same topic. There may also be subheadings under a subject heading for geographic areas such as a name of a city, a region, or a country. Alternatively, you can choose "Browse by subject" and look for topic words.
- Climatic Changes -- Government Policy
- Climatic Changes -- Government Policy -- Canada
- Environmental justice - works on equal protection from environmental and health hazards for all people regardless of race, income, culture, or social class.
- Environmental Monitoring
- Environmental Policy -- Canada
- Environmental Policy -- United States
- Environmental Protection -- United States
- Environmental refugees
- Feminism -- Developing countries
- Feminism -- Methodology
- Feminism -- Research
- Feminist theory
- Food -- Political aspects
- Food Security
- Food sovereignty
- Green movement - works on the movement that embraces a political culture and lifestyle focused on environmental and other issues, such as ecological accountability, grass roots democracy, and pacifism, often based on a separate political party
- Human Ecology -- Research Methodology
- Protest Movements In Mass Media
- Sustainable Development
- Sustainable living
- Women and the environment - works on feminist theory that emphasizes the interdependence of all living things and the relationship between social oppression and ecological domination
- Women environmentalists
- Women In Sustainable Development
- Women in sustainable development -- Asia
- Women In Sustainable Development -- Developing Countries
Journal articles and reports
Use these indexes to locate journal articles on your topic. You can "limit" your search to "academic or "scholarly / peer reviewed" journals.
- Women's Studies International
- Sociological Abstracts - theoretical and applied sociology, social science, and policy science.
- Bibliography of Native North Americans - Index for all aspects of Native North American culture, history, and life
- Environment Complete - Indexes over 1,900 environmental journals
- GEOBASE - Human and physical geography
- CBCA Complete Comprehensive Canadian periodical collection for reference and current events. Publications include scholarly journal articles, trade publications, dissertations, books, newspapers and magazines.
- Canadian Electronic Library full-text of books, reports, and other documents.
- Canadian Research Index: Find Canadian policy, research, social, economic, and political reports issued by the federal and provincial governments, as well as by government funded research institutes.
- CanLII - Canadian case law and statutes
- Eldis Gateway to Development Information- full-text reports from around the world. Topical guides: agriculture and food, environment, food security, manuals, research to policy. Key issues: check out "Gender and climate change "
- HeinOnline - includes law-related research material stored digitally in a fully-searchable, image-based format.
- SourceOECD - Reports from Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) from 1998. Country studies, forecasting publications. Topics covered include energy, environment, social issues, and sustainable development
- Statista - Statistical reports from around the world. Try searching for "environmental sustainability", "environmentally friendly", "environmental pollution", "environment protection", "environmental protection measures"
- Statistics Portal (Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations): The FAO statistical databases listed on this page are online multi-lingual databases containing statistical information on various topics. For statistics on agriculture, nutrition, fisheries, forestry, food aid, land use and population, see FAOSTAT.
- UNdata (Formerly known as UNSTATS): "A compilation of United Nations and agency statistics, covering economic, social, financial and development topics."
- List of News databases
- Environmental Policy and Law
- Environmental Values
- Ethics & the Environment
- Global Environmental Change
- Journal of Environment and Development
- Women + environments international magazine
Government of British Columbia
- BC Ministry of Environmental Protection and Sustainability
- BC Ministry of Forests and Range
- BC STATS: Environmental Statistics: Local data from the BC government on topics ranging from air quality to waste management.
- Crown Corporations
- Environmental Protection & Sustainability
- Municipalities A-Z (CivicInfo BC)
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Parks Canada
Statistics Canada Products and Services Online access to data and reports from Statistics Canada.
- Human Activity and the Environment: An annual publication that focuses on a current environmental issue. The latest information and statistics are gathered from many sources to produce an in-depth analytical article.
- Sustaining the Environment and Resources for Canadians
- USA.gov A centralized place to find information from local, state, and U.S. Government Agency websites.
Library of Congress
- Use the search limits by "map", and search by place name (state, city, territory, etc.). Search results for "map" (format) and the words, "North Dakota"