On this page
This guide will assist you in finding information on topics related to gender and development.
Start Your Research Here - This page gives you an overview of the research process, or in other words how to find materials for your essay.
It is useful to start by obtaining an overview of a topic by consulting scholarly encyclopedias, handbooks or even textbooks. These assist with identifying key authors, debates and resources.
- Battleground: women, gender, and sexuality
- Handbook of Latin American Studies Books, journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers on Latin America in the social sciences and humanities.
- The Oxford encyclopedia of Islam and women
- The Sage encyclopedia of world poverty
- The Wiley-Blackwell encyclopedia of social and political movements
- Women in developing countries: a reference handbook [print]
- Women's lives around the world: a global encyclopedia
For additional encyclopedias, check the side tab, "Background information"
How to use the Library Catalogue [guide]
Do a Library Catalogue search to see if the Library owns or provides access to the sources that you've identified.
For known items it is best to check using "Browse by title" icon.
Search by topic, using Basic or Advanced Search
(women OR gender) AND microfinance AND India
Limit the results list by subject (left-hand column) and resource type (books, articles, etc.)
(IMF OR World Bank) AND (women OR gender)AND India
- development AND "human trafficking"
- (women OR gender) AND development AND ("third world" OR transnational )
Results limited to certain "Subjects"
Proper syntax for Boolean logic (words that allow you to combine concepts)
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
Look at the titles in the "results list" and for those books that look relevant, click on their subject headings to find more books on that topic.
Find books by subject
Browse by Subject (change the default "title" to "subject"). Browse by Subject will only result in books, not book chapters or journal articles.
Spivak, Gayatri [For books about a person]
- Export Processing Zones
- International trade - social aspects
- Microfinance - Developing countries
- Women in Development [Also search for names of countries as "subheadings"]
- Women in development - Developing Countries
- Women in development - Latin America
- Women in economic development
- Also check for "Women's Rights" - [name of country]
Use these indexes/databases to locate journal articles on your topic.
- Women's Studies International - Key database for gender, sexuality and women's studies topics
Sociological Abstracts - covers international development, sociological and policy science topics.
Political Science Complete Covers political topics with a worldwide focus, reflecting the globalization of contemporary political discourse.
GEOBASE Covers topics such as economic growth, development, migration, sustainable development and economic impact
ECONLIT Covers economic Growth, health economics, international economics, labor, natural resources, and urban & regional Economics
Environment Complete - For environmental aspects of gender and international development
- Eldis Gateway to Development Information - full-text reports on development topics, worldwide
More databases: Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Databases
Journals listed below contain articles on development. They are indexed in databases listed in the "journal articles (above).
- African development review
- Canadian Journal of Development Studies
- Development and Change
- Development in practice
- Gender and development
- Gender, technology and development
- IDS Bulletin
- International Labour Review
- International Journal of Canadian Studies
- Indian journal of gender studies
- Journal of Development Economics
- Journal of Developing Areas
- Journal of gender studies
- Journal of developing areas
- Review of African Political Economy
- Review of development economics
- Resources for Feminist Research
- Signs: Women in Culture and Society
- Women and Environments
- Women's studies international forum.
- World development
Searching using Google
You can search for web reports of governments by entering words for the government of a country. With Google search you do not need to specify "AND" to join different concepts.
site:.gov.in [for government of India's website]
Example: Find words with "gender" and "development" at a Government of India's website.
- Human development report
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs - Check their tab for "key issues"
- Progress of the World’s Women (series)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Asian Development Bank - assists its members and partners by providing loans, technical assistance, and grants to promote social and economic development.
National governments of selected countries
- Bangladesh Official Government Website - Choose "English" version (top right)
- Government of Pakistan
- Ministry of Human Rights. Women's Centre
- National Commission on the Status of Women (NCSW)
Associations and organizations
- Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID)
- Bancosol (Bolivia) - a private bank that provides microfinance in Bolivia
- Care International (UK)
- Grameen Bank
- Maquila Solidarity Network (Mexico)
- SEWA - Self Employed Women's Association (India)
Writing help and library guides
- Library Research Tutorials. Animated tutorials on search techniques for finding books and journal articles.
- Popular versus scholarly sources [video]
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- What is plagiarism? [guide]
- Evaluating sources
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- Referencing and citation management software For help, please contact us at email@example.com
- Student Learning Commons & Writing help