On this page
For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 / email@example.com) Monday (wfh) to Thursday .
Term paper research
- Handbook of sociology of aging [print or online]
Comprehensive text focused on the many different aspects of the sociology of aging, with particular focus on the "social forces that shape human aging, and the social consequences and policy implications of it."
In particular, see Sections V: Social Institutions and Aging: Rethinking Retirement and VI: Economies, government and aging
- Health and care in ageing societies: a new international approach [print or online]
International perspectives on aging and health care in the global context
- The overselling of population aging [print]
Critical text about the aging Canadian society and the panic and apocalyptic reaction to the aging population as a social crisis
- Population aging and the evolving needs of older Canadians: An overview of the policy challenges
Study examining the evolving care needs of the aging population and proposing that there is a need for policies that support the needs of informal caregivers
- Reform proposals for replenishing retirement savings
Study examining the crisis in Canadian retirement saving whereby many Canadians will reach 65 without the financial stability to retire
To find books, search the SFU online catalogue -- sample Subjects:
- Health Care Reform ( -- Canada, -- British Columbia, etc.)
- Health promotion
- Long Term care facilities
- Medical Policy --Canada
- Older People -- Long Term Care
- Older People -- Medical Care
- Public Health (--Administration -- Canada, etc.)
Sample Authors :
UBC has an excellent collection of health and health policy materials, so it is worth searching the UBC Library Catalogue. To obtain UBC materials or non-SFU materials in general, you can either make an Interlibrary Loan Request or find out about reciprocal borrowing cards.
Journal and newspaper articles and government documents
Major database for social gerontology.
Sample subject terms: Public Policy, Pension Plans, Social Security Reform, Health Care Reform.
As this is an American database, add search terms such as Canada, British Columbia, or even Outside United States
- Canadian Electronic Library
Publications from Canadian public policy institutes, research institutes, think tanks, advocacy groups, government agencies and university research centers.
Sample terms: Continuum of care, Long term care of the sick, older persons, Medical policy
- Canadian Research Index
Government publications from the municipal to the federal level.
Search by name of government agency or terms such as: Medical policy, Health and Medical Care, Long term care of the sick, Long-term care facilities, Aged, etc.
All documents found in the database are available in the Microlog microfiche collection (JL 044 37) on the Sixth Floor of the Bennett Library, or you can Request via the catalogue link (put in title of document and the Microlog number)
Sample headings: Health policy, Legislation, Health Care Reform; subheading: legislation & jurisprudence.
It's also American, so use geographic terms to narrow search
See also: News Databases for coverage of health policy topics in the popular press
See also: Health Policy Databases for even more options
SFU ejournals to browse
- Ageing and society
- CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal
- Health affairs
- Health Policy
- Policy options
- Yale Journal of Health Policy, Law, and Ethics
Legislation and legal materials
- Finding Canadian Bills - SFU guide on how bills become legal acts and how you can find information on federal bills
- Health Care Law - this U.S. website "provides a number of resources on the laws and regulations protecting patients, as well as the federal programs helping vulnerable individuals get the medical services they need."
- LawCentral Canada - resources related to the legal issues that most concern seniors.
- LawSource - comprehensive online database for finding primary Canadian legal documents including law reports and court decisions
- British Columbia Ministry of Health Services - provides information and resources for British Columbians, including Seniors
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research - agency composed of 13 Canadian institutes focused on different areas of health research including Aging
- Health Canada - federal department that focuses on Canadian health including Acts and Regulations and Achieving health for all: a framework for health promotion
- Public Health Agency of Canada - Canadian agency dedicated to promoting public health including resources through the Division of Aging and Seniors
- Active Living Coalition for Older Adults (ALCOA) - a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting active and healthy lifestyles for older Canadians
Caledon Institute of Social Policy - institute that conducts research and analysis on social policy issues
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research - national association promoting evidence-based health care and health policy
- Canadian Council on Social Development (CCSD) non-profit organization focused on evidence-based social policy development, provides resources such as the Community Data Program
- Canadian Home Care Association - organization dedicated to excellence in home care, provides resources and links to knowledge network.
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association - national association for end-of-life/hospice palliative care in Canada, provides resources including a section on Public Policy and Advocacy
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) - "provides essential information on Canada’s health system and the health of Canadians," including their Health Care in Canada 2011
- Canadian Public Health Association - independent organization focused on public health, publisher of the Canadian Journal of Public Health
- Community Health Online Digital Archive & Research Resource (CHODARR) - online archive for research related to health and social welfare
- HealthCareCAN - the national voice of healthcare organizations across Canada, provides extensive resources and health information as well as courses and learning opportunities
- My Health My Community "a wealth of population health information at the community level" in the Lower Mainland
- Institute for Research on Public Policy (IRPP) - national research organization dedicated to improving Canadian public policy, provides access to research including Faces of Aging
- World Health Organization (WHO) - United Nations agency focused on global health
Under the Research Tools section, the library database, or WHOLIS, can be searched by terms such as: Aged; Frail Elderly; Health Care Policy; Public Policy; National Health Programs; Policy Making; Health Services for the Aged
Other useful websites
- Benefits Canada - government website providing information on "federal, provincial and territorial programs and services in one convenient location," see Seniors
- Canada’s Aging Population and Public Policy - Library of Parliament Research Publication about aging and health care costs
- Focus on Health: Public Health in Health Services Restructuring - Canadian Public Health Association publication about restructuring health care in Canada
- Life-Course Approach to Social Policy Analysis : A Proposed Framework - draft paper for proposed framework to conceptualize "the relationship between individuals and and society that is consistent with emerging thinking about social policy."
- National Evaluation of the Cost-Effectiveness of Home Care - publication from the University of Victoria, Health Canada and Centre on Aging
- Policy Horizons Canada - government organization with attention to "emerging policy challenges and opportunities"