This guide is intended to provide links to Library guides and selected resources which may be of interest to students and researchers at Simon Fraser University.
If you need help, please contact Sylvia Roberts, Liaison Librarian for Communication & Contemporary Arts at SFU Vancouver: 778.782.5043 (main) SFU Burnaby: 778.782.3681 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Ask a librarian.
Help with course assignments
CA 160 Introductory Studio in Visual Art I (Fall 2017)
Contemporary Arts subject guides
Recommended sources for databases, journal articles, dictionaries, encyclopedias, online music, videos, images, internet resources and more.
Library media collections
New Contemporary Arts books
- SCIENCE OF SCREENWRITING : exploring the science behind storytelling strategies.
- The truth is always grey : a history of modernist painting
- Art and authority : moral rights and meaning in contemporary visual art
- Four metaphors of modernism : from Der Sturm to the Société anonyme
- Distributed creativity : collaboration and improvisation in contemporary music
- Tarsila do Amaral : inventing modern art in Brazil
- James Benning's environments : politics, ecology, duration
- Inner sound : altered states of consciousness in electronic music and audio-visual media
- Norman McLaren : between the frames
- Magnificent obsession : the outrageous history of film buffs, collectors, scholars, and fanatics
- The modern British horror film
- Resonances of chindon-ya : sounding space and sociality in contemporary Japan
- Trigger. Gender as a tool and a weapon.
- Stories of almost everyone
- Unconventional warriors : the fantasy of the American resistance fighter in television and film
- Avengers assemble! : critical perspectives on the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Orson Welles in focus : texts and contexts
- Raúl Ruiz's cinema of inquiry
- Art in the age of the internet : 1989 to today
- The Laban workbook for actors: a practical training guide with video
- Toy story : how Pixar reinvented the animated feature
- Owens, Laura
- David Lamelas : a life of their own
- Comedy acting for theatre : the art and craft of performing in comedies
- Paris in the cinema : beyond the Flâneur : locations, characters, history
- The filmmaker's view : 100 years of ARRI
- The cinema of Richard Linklater : walk, don't run
- Making waves : traveling musics in Hawai'i, Asia, and the Pacific
- DARK SIDE OF THE BOOM : the excesses of the art market in the 21st century.
- Mona Hatoum, Terra infirma