Does this situation sound familiar? -- You need to understand a topic for your paper/project/class. Your ideal resource is one that...
- gives you a broader view of the topic -- its history, key issues, etc. -- than you can get in most articles;
- provides deep analysis of at least some of the sub-topics;
- can be accessed online so that you don't have to brave the elements to visit campus;
- can be downloaded, so that you can read it offline on the bus or (better) while on a plane going somewhere warm and dry;
- and is free (or at least free to you as an SFU researcher).
You're not alone! We hear of such wish lists every day, which is one of the reasons we've bought hundreds of thousands of ebooks for your research. Today I'd like to highlight one of the many ebook collections we've purchased for you -- one that ticks off every item on the list above: the 1200+ ebooks in the Business & Economics collection published by Springer. Let's start with just a few sample titles from that collection to give you an idea of the range of its content:
- Applied Corporate Finance : Questions, Problems and Making Decisions in the Real World / by Mark K. Pyles. "... fills a gap in the existing resources available to students and professionals needing an academically rigorous, yet practically orientated, source of knowledge about corporate finance."
- Sustainable Operations Strategies : The Impact of Human Resource Management and Organisational Practices on the Triple Bottom Line / by Annachiara Longoni. "... provides detailed guidance on how sustainability, in terms of the triple bottom line, can be developed in operations strategies via human resource management (HRM) and organizational practices such as teamwork, training and employee involvement."
- When Sovereigns Go Bankrupt : A Study on Sovereign Risk / by Norbert Gaillard. "... reviews and analyzes the different means used to forestall and protect against sovereign defaults."
- Economic Growth : Theory and Numerical Solution Methods / by Alfonso Novales, Esther Fernández, Jesús Ruiz. "This is a book on deterministic and stochastic Growth Theory and the computational methods needed to produce numerical solutions."
- A Concise Guide to Market Research : The Process, Data, and Methods Using IBM SPSS Statistics / by Marko Sarstedt, Erik Mooi. "This accessible, practice-oriented, and compact text provides a hands-on introduction to market research."
- Information Systems, Management, Organization and Control : Smart Practices and Effects / edited by Daniela Baglieri, Concetta Metallo, Cecilia Rossignoli, Mario Pezzillo Iacono. "... explores the diversity of topics, views and perspectives focused on the relationship between information systems, organizations and managerial control."
- Digital Wine : How QR Codes Facilitate New Markets for Small Wine Industries / by Tara Brabazon, Mick Winter, Bryn Gandy. "... explores the way in which QR codes (Quick Response codes) can help the wine industry facilitate distribution and more effectively market and sell their product."
- Strategic Business Decisions : A Quantitative Approach / by R. Srinivasan. "This book presents the essential concepts of operations research and engineering management in a structured manner..."
- Corporate Governance : An International Perspective / edited by Samuel O Idowu, Kiymet Tunca Çaliyurt. "... brings together a representative collection of perspectives on the way how corporate governance is being aligned with the social responsibility of an organization and the accountability of its management both in large corporations and in medium sized businesses."
Again, all of these books are downloadable for offline reading by any SFU researcher, and will provide a better "big picture" view of their topics than most articles. As is often the case with online resources, there are many ways to access our Springer ebooks:
- Search by the series title Springerlink Business and Economics in our SFU Library Catalogue to get title-direct links for each of the Springer bus/econ titles we own.
- Go to Springer E-books English Language Collections in our list of databases, then navigate your way down to the Business/Economics collection. (The value of coming in this way is that you can keyword search your way through the fulltext of thousands of ebooks -- an option that isn't available when you access them in our catalogue.)
- Even broader: Go to Springer LINK Search in our list of databases to search across all of our Springer ebooks, AND our Springer ejournals. That way, you'll be catching articles in journals such as the Journal of Business and Psychology, the Journal of Technology Transfer, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, and Experimental Economics.
For more on ebooks via your SFU Library, check out some of our earlier posts:
- Palgrave ebooks: PDF, ePub, Kindle, ReadCube… and no DRM!
- Hundreds of ebooks and articles on sustainability: Sustainable Organization Library
Or just contact any of your awesomely friendly business / economics librarians to learn more:
- Mark Bodnar (Business – Burnaby): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan Sorenson (Business – Vancouver): email@example.com
- Ania Dymarz (Business – Surrey): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carla Graebner (Economics – Burnaby): email@example.com