On this page
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?,
- Popular vs scholarly -- see highlights
- How to Critically Evaluate Sources
- Understanding and Avoiding Plagiariasm (tutorial)
- Citation or reference management tools collect your journal article, book, or other document citations together in one place, and help you create properly formatted bibliographies in almost any style — in seconds. Citation management tools help you keep track of your sources while you work and store your references for future use and reuse.
- Encyclopedia of human rights
- Encyclopedia of interpersonal violence
- Encyclopedia of violence, peace, & conflict
- Online encyclopedia of mass violence
- Women and war : a historical encyclopedia from antiquity to the present
Find Books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
For help, see the Library Guide, "How to use the Library Catalogue".
- genocide or holocost or ethnic cleansing
- state-sponsored and ethn*
- state violence
- state violence and (atrocit* or human rights or inequalit*)
- structural violence and (anthrop* or ethnogra*) and theor*
- 9/11 and (ethn* or race or racial*)
- war and rape
- war and memory
From your list of book titles that appear, check their subject headings.
Find Books by Subject Headings
Try "subject" searches. Note: if you have a large list of titles, sort by "newest first" by pressing the "limit" icon. Topics may also have "subheadings" for geographic areas (e.g. Genocide - Rwanda) Some typical subject headings that may be helpful for this class include:
- Apartheid -- 2 Related Subjects
- Civil Rights -- 21 Related Subjects
- Collective Memory
- Comfort Women -- Asia
- Ethnicity -- Political Aspects
- Genocide -- Rwanda
- Genocide -- Social Aspects
- Genocide -- Sociological Aspects
- Human Rights -- 13 Related Subjects
- Human Trafficking
- Human Trafficking -- United States
- Political Atrocities -- 3 Related Subjects
- Political violence
- Rape as a weapon of war
- State Sponsored Terrorism
- Violence -- 13 Related Subjects
- Violence -- Social Aspects
- Women And The Military
- Women And War
To search for books by subject heading, use the Browse Search option in the SFU Library Catalogue, then select Subject browse from the drop-down menu.
To find articles not in the database, click on the "Where Can I Get This?" link in the citation. This process is described in greater detail in the "How to Find Journal Articles" tutorial.
- Sociological Abstracts : Sociological aspects of twenty-nine broad topics, including anthropology, business, collective behaviour, community development, disaster studies, education, environmental studies, gender studies, gerontology, law and penology, marriage and family studies, medicine and health, racial interactions, social psychology, social work, sociological theory, stratification, substance abuse, urban studies, and violence.
Key database for Anthropological journal articles.
Social Sciences Full Text
Index to all aspects of criminal justice, including psychological.
- The Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWGE) is a network of Gender Focal Points in United Nations offices, specialized agencies, funds and programmes and is chaired by UN Women. UN Women also serves as the Secretariat for the Network.