As part of our efforts to make Library collections more accessible during COVID-19, SFU Library is excited to announce our participation in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS).
Through ETAS, over 400,000 of our in-copyright print items are now available online to SFU students, faculty, and staff.
This service allows SFU Library to provide online access to works in our physical collection that have a matching digitized copy in HathiTrust, for as long as our physical collection is inaccessible.
Privacy note: In order to use this service, SFU’s authentication system sends data elements to HathiTrust. This information will be stored outside of Canada. Please read the full information about your privacy and use of the HathiTrust Digital Library on the SFU Library HathiTrust Digital Library page or in the catalogue record before you click on the "HathiTrust ETAS" link.
How does this service work?
- Only books that HathiTrust verifies as owned in print by SFU Library are available.
- While ETAS is activated, physical copies of books held in ETAS will not be available for contactless pickup. (In other words, the physical copies of books that are available online through this service will not be available at the same time.)
- When you check out an item, you will be able to access it online for 60 minutes. If you are continuing to read it (if your session remains active), this access time will be extended.
- You can read the books in your browser, but they cannot be downloaded. (HathiTrust enables reading access to the book online only.)
- Only current SFU students, faculty, and staff are permitted access to eligible ETAS items when logged in to HathiTrust.
- Once our buildings have fully reopened, and we have returned to regular in-person access to print materials, our access to in-copyright materials through this service will end.
How to access the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)
Option one: Search and browse through the Library Catalogue
Option two: Search and browse through the HathiTrust Digital Library platform
FAQs about using ETAS
Accessing print books in the Library's physical collections
Note that while we are providing this Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), books that SFU Library owns in print that are in the ETAS collection will be available through ETAS only.
Can I make a “scan pages” request or use the “request item” option for ETAS physical books?
Can I borrow the print book? I prefer not to read the digital copy.
Issues with finding and accessing ETAS titles
Why is downloading not permitted for ETAS titles?
I'm looking for a specific book that I believe SFU owns in print, and can't find it in ETAS. Why isn’t there ETAS access to it?
Questions and contact
For help with ETAS, reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore even more works through HathiTrust Digital Library
This special access to ETAS is available to members of HathiTrust, a not-for-profit collaborative of academic and research libraries preserving and providing lawful access to more than 17 million digitized items.
SFU students, faculty, and staff can access digitized works in the public domain through the HathiTrust Digital Library.