- Which areas in Ontario are susceptible to drought? Which areas are susceptible to longer periods of drought and which to shorter periods?
- What is the travel route of the Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna)? Does it pass close to areas where predators are present, specifically those which prey on eggs?
- Are neighbourhoods with low socioeconomic status spatially correlated to high morbidity rates?
Many of these questions ask about the spatial relationship between two or more phenomena. This workshop is an introduction to spatial thinking and the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This workshop assumes attendees have no previous experience with GIS.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- think spatially about their research;
- understand the elements of GIS;
- use a leading industry software (ArcGIS);
- create simple maps using geospatial data;
- look for and find geospatial data and resources.
Workshop page (SFU Canvas): GIS workshops page includes workshop descriptions and suggested streams for different disciplines, handouts, slides, and example datasets
Register for upcoming workshops
No upcoming instances of this workshop found.