FAQs Browse

Can SFU students borrow books from other BC colleges and universities?


There is a reciprocal borrowing agreement with BC colleges and universities (via the BC division of the Council of Post Secondary Library Directors (CPSLD), whereby SFU students, faculty and staff can borrow books from many non-SFU Library institutions.

Simon Fraser University students and faculty will need to show their SFU ID and verify themselves online at the checkout counter of the non-SFU Library by:

  1. Signing into the Library Catalogue and going to the "My Library account" section.
  2. Under Personal Details, viewing the account expiry date.  If the account is not expired, the student or faculty member is considered enrolled or employed at SFU.

Note: Local non-SFU Library borrowing restrictions will apply.

Can someone at the SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library help me find a job?


Students interested in employment opportunities can get in touch with:

SFU Career Services
To book an advising appointment or attend a workshop.

SFU Work Integrated Learning
To apply for co-op, log in to view job postings, or talk to a career advisor.

Community members

Community members can get free job search assistance at an employment services centre:

WorkBC Centre - Surrey Whalley
For job search workshops, employment counselling, skills training and more.

Find other Work BC locations

Can students from BC Colleges (Douglas, BCIT, etc.) borrow books from SFU?

Yes.  Current students, faculty and staff from these institutions shall be granted reciprocal external borrowing privileges at each other's libraries.

Students, faculty, and staff are subject to the borrowing rules at each library.

You will be asked to verify that you attend your "home" college.

For example:

A Douglas College student will produce a student card which will include a sticker showing she is registered in the current semester.

A BCIT student will need to logon to their system to show their expiry date

Patrons covered by this reciprocal agreement will be issued with an external borrower card.  The card's expiry date will be either the date on the student's ID or the date displayed on their online registration. Maximum length of time is one (1) year. For a list of participating BC colleges, see the Reciprocal Borrowing page of CPSLD (Council of Post Secondary Library Directors).

Can students include copyright protected materials in their assignments and presentations?

Generally yes.  Since fair dealing now includes education, students may include limited amounts of copyright protected material in their assignments and presentations.  Students presenting in class or submitting assignments to an instructor are subject to the same rules, limits and exceptions that apply to instructors.  See the Application of Fair Dealing under Policy R30.04 for details about amounts allowable under fair dealing.

Can the library send me electronic copies of articles using the interlibrary loan service?

Yes. Almost all articles requested via interlibrary loan are delivered to the requestor using a secure post-to-web service that complies with Canada’s Copyright Act.

Can videos be borrowed through Interlibrary Loans?

Unfortunately no. Libraries usually do not lend each other media items (DVDs, videos, etc.).

The exception is for instructors booking films for classroom showing. If you're an instructor and you want to show a specific film which SFU doesn't own, please complete an interlibrary loan request using the Media booking form. SFU is a member of the BC Media Resource Sharing Agreement, which allows BC post-secondary libraries to lend each other media items.

To check if another library in BC has the video you want, access Outlook Online and limit your search to the "ELN Media Catalogue".

Do honours students have any special borrowing privileges?Honour students have their loan privileges expanded to equal that of graduate students. This upgraded status is awarded to all undergraduate students in the honours program.
Do I have to do anything to be protected by copyright?

No. Copyright in a work exists automatically when an original literary, artistic or dramatic work is created, or a performance, sound recording or broadcasting signal is created or published, so the owner is protected under copyright common law. Under Canadian copyright law, the work does not need to be registered and the symbol © is not required to appear on the work. There may not even be any reference to copyright protection. It is possible for the work to be registered under a voluntary government registration system, such as that of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). Registration with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office does not preclude or enhance protection. However, it is still a good idea to register your copyright and to indicate notice of copyright on your works.

Do I need to ask permission to link to a website?

Content on the web is protected by copyright in the same way as print and other formats, even if there is no copyright symbol or notice. Linking directly to the web page containing the content you wish to use is almost always permitted, although you need to make sure the content you are linking to is not in itself infringing copyright. In addition, if the web page does not clearly identify the website and content owner, you should also include the full details of the author, copyright owner and source of the materials by the link. This will avoid any suggestion that the website is your own material or that your website is somehow affiliated with the other site. 

If you have reason to believe that the web site may contain content posted without the permission of the copyright owner, you should avoid linking to it. In addition, you must comply with web site statements indicating that permission is required before material is reproduced or that it may not be reproduced at all. Such statements are typically found in sections titled ‘Terms of Use’ or ‘Legal Notices.’

Do I need to obtain permission if I want copyright protected material printed on campus?

It depends.  If fair dealing, or another exception, or a license that the Library has for electronic resources covers the amount and purpose of the copying, express permission is not required.  If, for example, you want copies printed for a classroom handout, and the amount to be copied is consistent with fair dealing, you will not need permission.  If, however, fair dealing, or another exception, or a Library license does not cover what you want to copy, permission will be needed.  Any material submitted for printing by Document Solutions is checked for copyright clearance.  If you have permission to copy the item from the copyright owner, please provide documentation for the permission when submitting your order.  If you do not have permission, Document Solutions will be unable to fill your reproduction order.