FAQs Browse

Can Fraser Valley Real Estate Board member realtors get library cards?

In recognition of their donation to SFU, Fraser Valley Real Estate Board member realtors may receive Library External Borrower cards at a 50% discounted rate, currently $50 for an annual card and $20 for a semester card.

To obtain a card come to any of the three SFU Libraries and bring:

  • Fraser Valley Real Estate Board membership ID card
  • Picture ID (e.g. driver's license, BC ID)
Can someone at the SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library help me find a job?


Students interested in employment opportunities can get in touch with:

SFU Career Services
To book an advising appointment or attend a workshop.

SFU Work Integrated Learning
To apply for co-op, log in to view job postings, or talk to a career advisor.

Community members

Community members can get free job search assistance at an employment services centre:

WorkBC Centre - Surrey Whalley
For job search workshops, employment counselling, skills training and more.

Find other Work BC locations

Does SFU have more than one library?


Three libraries form the SFU Library:

1. The WAC Bennett Library or Bennett, which is located on the Burnaby Mountain Campus and is the main SFU Library.

2. The Belzberg Library or Belzberg, located in downtown Vancouver.

3. The Fraser Library or Fraser, located in Surrey.

The Library catalogue lists books, journals, etc. for all three libraries. You can transfer items between libraries by using the Request button in the Library's Catalogue.

The word "WEB" listed as a library in the Library Catalogue means that the item listed is available on the Web.

The phrase "Curriculum collection" listed as a library in the Library Catalogue means that the item can be found in the Curriculum Collection in the Bennett Library.

Does SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library offer free EAL/ESL classes?

SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library does not offer English as an Additional Language classes, however, other resources are available:

Students can attend a workshop, book a conversation consultation, and get help with academic writing in English at the Student Learning Commons.

Community members can attend a drop-in English conversation circle at Surrey Public Libraries, register for the English Conversation Program with the City of Surrey, or find classes through the New to BC website.

Does the SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library have any information on emergency housing?

Community Resources in North Surrey
From the City of Surrey, a list of housing and supports in North Surrey. Find more information in the City of Surrey's Master plan for housing the homeless.

Community Services - Housing
From Surrey Libraries, a list of housing options from emergency shelters to affordable housing. Includes a printable PDF version.

The Lookout Society (Gateway shelter & front room drop in)
The closest shelter to the SFU Surrey (Fraser) Library, at 10667 135 A Street, Surrey, BC, V3T 4E3. Telephone number for general inquiries: 604-589-8678

BC 211 Shelter and Street help line
Provides a shelter list with available beds that is updated twice daily: 11:30am & 7:30pm. Follow the link to download the most up-to-date version of the shelter list.

Homelessness Services Association of BC
Another excellent resource. Links include a shelter directory and Extreme Weather Response community plans.

Getting books and articles delivered from other SFU campus libraries

Book / video

  1. Sign into the Catalogue
  2. Search for and find the Catalogue record for the item you seek
  3. In the "Get It" area of the item's Catalogue record, select "Request item" to request the book or video (or other material).

The item will be sent to the Circulation/Loans desk if you choose to pick up at the Belzberg Library (SFU Vancouver), at the Holds Shelf at the Fraser Library (SFU Surrey), or on the Holds shelf in the Reserves area if you choose W.A.C. Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby), usually within 2 days.

You will be notified by email when your item is ready for pick up. For more information, please see How do I know when a book I've requested is ready to pick up?

Article in a journal

Follow these instructions to request a copy of an article in a paper journal only held at a library branch you normally don't use. 

  1. Sign into the Catalogue
  2. Go to Citation Finder
  3. Choose Article option, leave all fields blank, and scroll to the bottom of the form and click Submit
  4. At the next screen you'll be given the option of requesting the item using Interlibrary Loans. Click on the Interlibrary Loans link on this screen.
  5. At the subsequent InterLibrary Loan request form fill in all the necessary information. Make sure to choose a need by date and submit the form.

The article will be sent to you electronically using the Library's secure Post-to-Web service, usually within 2 days.

You can also request Microlog fiche from Bennett Library. From the catalogue, place a request as you would for an article. Title of the publication and fiche number are all that's needed.

How and where do I print, scan, and photocopy in the library?

 Where are the printers/scanners/copiers?

 W.A.C. Bennett Library at SFU Burnaby

Printers/scanners/photocopiers are on the 3rd and 6th floors, and in the Research Commons.

Choose colour or black and white by selecting the correct printing queue [new-lab-mono (default printer) or new-lab-colour].

Additionally, flatbed standalone scanners are located on the North side of the 3rd floor (main floor) of the Bennett Library.


 Belzberg Library at SFU Vancouver

There are two printer/copier/scanning machines in the Library,

Choose colour or black and white by selecting the correct printing queue (NewVanMono or NewVanColour).

Other printers on campus:

  • Room 1300 (IT Services lab): colour and black & white
  • Room 2960 (Publishing lab): black & white only   

Fraser Library at SFU Surrey

There are two printer/copier/scanning machines in the Media/Reserves area, 3620.

Choose colour or black and white by selecting the correct printing queue (NewSurreyMono or NewSurreyColour).

Other printers on campus:

  • Room 2300 (Firefighter’s Lab): black & white -- near the Security desk in the mezzanine.
  • Room 3064: colour and black & white
  • Room 3355: colour and black & white

 How do I print or copy?

Printers/copiers/scanners use the printing account system Papercut. 

At the computer:

  1. Check your Papercut account: Before printing your document(s), check to see if you have enough printing credit for the pages you want to print:
    1. To add money to your Papercut account How to pay for printing and copying
  2. Choose the right queue: Select either black and white (mono) or colour printing/copying.

At the printer/copier/scanner:

  1. At the printer/copier/scanner log in to Papercut using SFU Computing ID and password
    1. Select jobs to print or copy (PRINT ALL to release all print jobs or PRINT RELEASE to release individual print jobs or opt to photocopy).
  2. Log out of printer.

 How do I scan a document?

You may scan to email at any SFU library or scan to a USB device at the Bennett or Belzberg Libraries. Scan to USB is not available at the Fraser Library.

To scan to a USB device:

  3. Select SCAN SETTINGS to change settings
  4. Select FINISH SCAN when done, or continue scanning by selecting START after each page
  5. Select USB icon to eject device
  6. Logout

 General questions

Can I use the same printing account at all SFU libraries?

Yes. You can also use the same printing account in IT Services' labs.

How much does printing cost, how do I pay, and how do I get a refund?

For payment options, and how to get a refund, see How to pay for printing and copying.

For prices, see How much does it cost to print or make copies at the SFU Library

How can I print in colour, or different document sizes? 

See Can I print or copy special document sizes and types at the Library?

How long will my print job stay in the printer?

After you send something to the printer from a library workstation, your print job stays in the queue for one hour.

If you do not complete or print off your print or copy job within this one hour limit, you will have to re-send your document to the printer/copier/scanner.

Can I use my own paper?

No. If you need to use your own paper for special purposes, you will need to go to a photocopy shop.

Where can I make copies from microfiche or microfilm?

Copiers are included in most of the microfiche and microfilm readers. You use the same Printing/Photocopy card you use for photocopying and printing.

For more information, please see What are microforms and how do I access them?


Sometimes when I try to print something too many pages get charged to my printing card, some pages are printed blank, some are just not printed at all.

Sometimes there are errors when trying to print a PDF or PPT (PowerPoint) file from WITHIN the web browser. This is a common problem when you are printing out material such as lecture notes and slides from within Canvas or printing full-text articles within research databases such as PsycInfo or ERIC (EBSCO interfaces).

IT Services suggest the following solution:

  • Go "Back" to the original page with the LINK to the file that you want to open and print.
  • Right-click on the link, and then choose "Save Target As..."
  • A new window will open giving the choice of where to save the file. (Technicians recommend choosing the "Desktop" as the article will be easier to find).
  • Once the file is saved on the desktop, double-click on the file, and it SHOULD open in its NATIVE program (PDF will open in Adobe Reader, PPT will open in PowerPoint).
  • Choose the print option within this program, and the print job should come out without errors.

Sometimes in article indexes and databases, the link still forces you to open the file within a browser. Try choosing to save the article using the Adobe Reader menu buttons, and continue the above process.

When I try to print PDF document, the printer outputs blank pages.

When looking at the .pdf document in Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the print option or the printer icon.

From within the printing options box, try changing the "Page Scaling" box so that it reads "None".

Ensure that the "Auto-Rotate and Center" option is NOT checked.

Try printing again.

 Printing at SFU (outside the Library)

For SFU IT Services' information on printing services at all three SFU campuses, see Student Printing Services.

How can I save my work when I am using a computer in the Library?

The Cloud

Use SFU Microsoft OneDrive to store your files.

You may choose to use an external service like DropBox or Google Drive to save your work on a remote server. SFU has no control over the security of your documents, or the protection of your privacy when you use these external services. Please be informed about your online privacy before using these services.

USB drive

Use a personal USB drive (USB key, flash drive, thumb drive) to keep your saved work on physical media.


Send an electronic copy as an attachment to an email to your own email address. Please check Storage Space and Quota for SFU Mail to ensure you have enough space in your SFU Mail account..

Keep a paper copy

Use library printers to create a paper copy of your document.

How do I get a library card?

Current SFU students, faculty, and staff

Your SFU ID is your library card.

See Getting your Card for how and where to get your SFU ID.

SFU student card

FIC student card


Where do I pick up my SFU ID?

See Getting your Card for details, or contact SFU's Registrar and Information Services for help.

Distance education students: Follow the instructions for getting a library barcode or contact Telebook services to get a barcode number so that you can use the library's direct request services.

Alumni, external borrowers, and some research assistants

Alumni: You do not need to get a different library/university card when you graduate, so hold onto your present card. Your library privileges will expire two weeks into the next semester. Your alumni library privileges will come into effect when Senate awards your degree/diploma. If you need library privileges before you are awarded your alumnus status, come to the Circulation/Loans desk at the Library for interim privileges. Alumni who no longer have their card can contact SFU's Registrar and Information Services to purchase a new University/Library card.

External Borrower Cards can be purchased at the Circulation/Loans desk at Bennett, Belzberg or Surrey Libraries. For rates and other useful information, please see Services for External Borrowers.

Research assistants who are paid directly by the professor (and not on the university payroll) may apply for a free External Borrower Card at any campus. An application form can be obtained from the Circulation/Loans desk. This form must be countersigned by the Professor, and should then be presented to the Circulation/Loans desk. Cards will be issued in the name of the assistant c/o the Professor and will carry the same borrowing privileges as the Professor.

New faculty not yet on payroll

New faculty are eligible for a library card up to 3 months in advance of their appointment. If you cannot yet get a regular card, please visit the loans counter at any SFU Library branch. Library staff will issue you a temporary card upon written proof confirming your status (e.g. letter of appointment from Faculty/Dept., Departmental memo).

Your temporary library card will provide you with the full range of faculty borrowing privileges,

How to pay for printing and copying, how to get a refund

You will need a Papercut account to pay for your printing & copying jobs at all three libraries.

For more information on printing, scanning, and photocopying, see How and where do I print, scan, and photocopy in the library?

Most frequently asked questions

How do I add money to my printing account?

Online using a credit card: 

  1. Enter your SFU Computing ID and password and press the 'Log in' button.
  2. Click on the 'Add printing credit' link located on the left navigation bar. You will be taken to the Moneris Credit Card Gateway. This will add money to the Cash balance of your printing account from your credit card.

Papercut machine using cash:

  • The machine takes $1 and $2 coins and $5, $10 and $20 bills, and does not give change.
  • At Bennett Library (Burnaby) the Papercut machine is located across from the Tech Help desk on the 3rd floor.
  • At Fraser Library (Surrey), the Papercut machine is located in the mezzanine, near the Firemen's lab (Room 2300) and the security desk.

Note: The maximum amount on an account is $100. Money added to a printing account cannot be withdrawn afterwards, and there are no refunds. Remaining Cash balances can be transferred to another person on campus.

Do any copiers/printers/scanners accept coins (instead of Papercut)?


Where can I get change?

You can ask for change at the service counter at any SFU library.

How can I get a refund?

  • You can request a refund for printing jobs from SFU IT Services.
  • See IT Services' Refund Policy for more details.