You are here

Browse and search FAQs

  • Use of copyrighted materials is protected under the law in Canada and we are subject to the Canadian Copyright Act. Additionally, the University has implemented policies, standards and guidelines that, as members of the university community, we are required to follow.

    Simon Fraser University respects intellectual property and intellectual property laws, and will take appropriate steps to ensure consistent application of legal requirements throughout the University. It is the responsibility of each member of the university community to comply with copyright law and respect copyright ownership and licensing.  

    Please note that staff at the University Library, Archives, Bookstore, Centre for Online and Distance Education, Teaching and Learning Centre, Creative Services and Document Solutions have a professional responsibility to respect copyright law and may refuse to copy or print something if it is thought to be an infringement of copyright law.

  • The Library is not authorized to stamp, initial or otherwise acknowledge or receive assignments on behalf of any SFU instructor, Department or Faculty. To ensure academic integrity, assignments must be submitted as directed by your course instructor.

    If you have any questions about the Library's role regarding assignments, please contact Elaine Fairey, Associate University Librarian, Bennett Public Services, at or 778.782.3252.

  • The Student Learning Commons (SLC) provides assistance for most writing with an academic purpose, including papers, theses, applications for graduate programs, and cover letters and resumes for positions related to your academic program, such as Co-op. 

    For assistance with job-related cover letters and résumés, consult SFU Career Services or the Career Management Centre.

    SLC staff and peer educators do not proofread or edit your work but do help you develop your own effective proofreading and editing strategies.


  • The Student Learning Commons (SLC) consultants will review portions of your work with you and help you develop your own effective proofreading or editing strategies. 

    If you have approval from your course instructor or thesis supervisor to work with a professional editor, see the recommendations set out by the Dean of Graduate Studies, and the guidelines from the Editors' Association of Canada (EAC).  The EAC also provides suggestions for working with an editor and a directory of editors for hire.