During COVID-19, individual SFU-affiliated researchers (current students, faculty, staff) may book two-hour appointments in the SCRB reading room.
Appointments must be requested at least one week in advance.
For more details, including available days and times, safety requirements, and how to request an appointment, see Booking appointments during COVID in Special Collections and Rare Books.
On this page
- Appointments available for researchers
- How to book an appointment
- Before your appointment
- COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training
- What you need to bring
- When you arrive, and what to do on the day of your appointment
- Safety procedures and requirements for your visit
- Help from SCRB staff before and after your appointment
Appointments available for researchers
Researchers may book two-hour appointments for solo visits to the Special Collections and Rare Books reading room, W.A.C. Bennett Library (Burnaby).
Access is limited to SFU students, faculty, and staff.
Bookings are available from 10-noon and 1-3 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Bookings must be made at least seven days in advance.
Questions? You can email SCRB staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to book an appointment
- can be booked for a maximum of 2 hours
- must be requested at least one week in advance.
Due to physical distancing requirements, you must come alone. Please do not bring anyone else to your appointment, including children. If you require accompaniment to accommodate a disability, please contact email@example.com in advance to discuss.
You must complete the SFU COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training. This is a requirement of all SFU community members. After you complete the training, and prior to your arriving for your appointment, please send a copy of your certificate to SCRB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appointments are currently available:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 10am - 12pm or 1:00pm - 3:00pm.
To request an appointment, email SCRB staff at email@example.com with:
- the date and time you wish to visit (at least one week in advance; keep in mind we may not be able to accommodate your priority date)
- the materials you wish to consult (fonds, box numbers and/or books with call numbers)
- your SFU COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training Certificate.
We will send you a brief registration, COVID safety form, and further instructions before your visit.
Before your appointment
Before you come to campus, you must complete SFU COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training, as noted below.
Do not come to campus if you:
- have any symptoms related to COVID-19
- live with anyone who is diagnosed with COVID-19, or
- have traveled outside of the country within the last two weeks.
If your situation changes after you book your appointment, and any of the above apply, contact us to cancel your appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training
Before coming to campus, you must provide proof that you have completed the SFU COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training.
This is a requirement for all SFU community members.
Before you arrive for your appointment, send a copy of your certificate to SCRB staff at email@example.com
What you need to bring
Bring a mask. Researchers and staff are required to wear masks during research appointments. The Library is not able to provide masks.
Bring your own pencil and paper.
Bring your computer if you wish.
When you arrive, and what to do on the day of your appointment
When we contact you to confirm your appointment we will include details for accessing SCRB, including where to meet staff.
We recommend you bring a mobile phone with you to your appointment. If you have questions or need help finding the Library on the day, you can call us for assistance at 778-782-5674.
Safety procedures and requirements for your visit
- sanitize the research table and chair before you arrive
- quarantine material for at least 24 hours between uses
- wear a mask during research appointments.
- wash or sanitize your hands upon entering the Library and before visiting SCRB
- wear a mask while in SCRB and during your research appointment
- come alone (unless you have made a prior arrangement with us to accommodate a disability)
- before your arrival, provide proof that you have completed the SFU COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training
- follow all occupancy and safety signs posted on campus and in the Library.
Help from SCRB staff before and after your appointment
If you need assistance with identifying relevant resources for your project, please contact SCRB at firstname.lastname@example.org well in advance of your desired visit date.
We sometimes can provide the needed research assistance remotely by supplying scans -- this capacity is limited, depending on staff availability.