What's on display?
On the third floor of the Bennett Library, materials from Nichol’s various collections are on display. This includes a selection of his robots, instructional manuals for toys, a menagerie of H’s, and selections from his Dick Tracy comic book collection—all alongside other playful projects found in his archives. Together, these highlight the diverse media in which he found inspiration for his genre-blending literature.
Displayed on the seventh floor, at the entrance to Special Collections and Rare Books, is an exhibition centering Book 5 of The Martyrology, one part in a series that Nichol worked on for well over a decade. From conception to draft, to proof, to publication, the various archival documents on display track the production of this seminal text. If the exhibition at the library’s entrance focuses on what Nichol sourced for inspiration, the motivating question of this second part is how: how he organized his ideas, and how he brought them to bear upon the page.
Visit both displays to learn more about bpNichol’s creative process and to view selections from his diverse archival collections!
About the curators
Donald Shipton is an MA student in the Department of English at Simon Fraser University. His scholarly interests reside primarily in contemporary Canadian literature and the archive. He is currently studying the chapbooks and ephemera of bpNichol, held in the Contemporary Literature Collection at SFU, with particular attention to their materiality and the possibility of replicating this in digital space.
Emma Metcalfe Hurst is a writer, curator, and researcher who is currently in her third year studying archives and librarianship (MASLIS) at the UBC iSchool. Her areas of interest include community, artist, and performing arts archives, public programming, and intellectual property rights. She has previously worked at Access Gallery, Nanaimo Art Gallery, grunt gallery, Western Front, Artspeak, Unit/Pitt, Co-op Radio, the UBC Music, Art, and Architecture Library, and the Museum of Anthropology. She recently launched the oral history and community archives project, Coming Out of Chaos: A Vancouver Dance Story, and was the project coordinator for Recollective: Vancouver Independent Archives Week. She is currently working as an archivist for VIVO Media Arts Centre and Karen Jamieson Dance.
Contact for further information
For more information, contact Special Collections and Rare Books at firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected publications by bp Nichol on display and for loan
Want to learn more about bpNichol's work? Check out some of his books from the Library's collections beside the Collecting the Collector display on the 3rd floor of the Library:
- A book of variations : Love ; Zygal ; Art facts / bpNichol ; edited by Stephen Voyce (2013)
- ABC : the aleph beth book / B.P. Nichol (1971)
- An H in the heart : a reader / bpNichol ; selected by George Bowering and Michael Ondaatje (1994)
- Andy [and] For Jesus lunatick : [two novels] / B.P. Nichol (1971)
- bpNichol comics / B.P. Nichol ; edited by Carl Peters (2002)
- Briefly : the birthdeath cycle from the Book of hours / B.P. Nichol (1981)
- Continental trance / B.P. Nichol (1982)
- Extreme positions / B.P. Nichol (1981)
- Gifts : the martyrology book(s) 7 & / B.P. Nichol (1990)
- Konfessions of an Elizabethan fan dancer / bpNichol ; edited with introduction and notes by Nelson Ball (2004)
- Love : a book of remembrances / B.P. Nichol (1974)
- Meanwhile : the critical writings of bpNichol / edited by Roy Miki (2002)
- Monotones / B.P. Nichol (1971)
- Of lines : some drawings / B.P. Nichol (1981)
- Organ music : parts of an autobiography / bpNichol (2012)
- Pass this way again : a collection of performance poetry / Susan McMaster, Andrew McClure, Claude Dupuis ; edited by B. P. Nichol (1983)
- Selected organs : parts of an autobiography / bpNichol (1988)
- Selected writing : as elected / bp Nichol ; edited by bp Nichol & Jack David ; introd. by Jack David (1980)
- Still / bp Nichol (1983)
- The cosmic chef : an evening of concrete Poems / Margaret Avison [and others] (1970)
- The martyrology / B.P. Nichol ; designed and illus. by Jerry Ofo (1972)
- The martyrology / B.P. Nichol (1977)
- The martyrology book V, chain 8 : draft / B.P. Nichol (1979)
- The martyrology, book VI books : 1978-1985 / B.P. Nichol (1994)
- The martyrology, book VI books : 1978-1985 / B.P. Nichol (1987)
- The prose tattoo : selected performance scores / by The Four Horsemen (Rafael Barreto-Rivera, Paul Dutton, Steve McCaffery, B.P. Nichol) (1983)
- Translating Translating Apollinaire : a preliminary report from a book of research / by B.P. Nichol (1979)
- Truth : a book of fictions / bpNichol ; edited by Irene Niechoda (1993)
- Zygal : a book of mysteries and translations / B.P. Nichol (1985)