During COVID-19, Student Learning Commons services continue.
For the complete range, including consultations, support, workshops, handouts, and groups, see SLC services continue online.
On this page
Looking for some quick tips to help give your writing a boost? Download any of our 2-page handouts, or drop by the SLC to pick up hard copies (available at Burnaby and Surrey).
- Avoiding Logical Fallacies in Writing
- Checklist for Formatting APA Style Papers
- Citing Research Sources
- Creating Effective Outlines
- Demystifying Academic Writing
- "In Conclusion" (or How Not to End Your Paper)
- Observation Papers
- Personal Statement for Graduate School
- Research Papers: a Quick Guide
- Thesis Statements
- Transition words
- What is a Literature Review?
- Writing & Research Strategies
- Describing What Authors are Doing
- Quoting, Paraphrasing & Summarizing
- Techniques for Paraphrasing
Style & editing
- Top 10 Self-Help Editing Tips
- Checking Word Choice
- Better Paragraphs: Strengthening Argument and Organization
- Better Sentences: Improving Clarity and Flow
- Better Sentences: Managing Length and Complexity
- How to Proofread
- Polishing Your Style
- Quick Tour of the Active and Passive Voice
- Research Essay Self Assessment Checklist