Open educational resources (OER) are gaining momentum in higher education as a means of making learning more affordable and accessible for students and creating new opportunities for instructors to adapt and customize resources for their teaching practice and subject area.
OER include any teaching and learning materials that have been made freely available and are openly licensed with legal permissions to use, adapt, and share their content. Examples include open textbooks, videos, lesson plans, learning modules, full-length courses ... and more!
Are you interested in the potential of OER to enhance teaching and learning, but not sure how to get started? Join us on Thursday, May 24 from 10:00am to 3:00pm in Room 2020 at W.A.C. Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby) for a series of talks, panel discussions, and hands-on workshops featuring instructors, staff, and students leading open education initiatives and working on OER-related projects here at SFU.
Coffee and lunch provided. Please register for each session you're planning to attend individually.
Session 1: Opening Education: How OER Can Make Education More Accessible and Transformative
Speaker: Lucas Wright (Open Education Advisor, BCcampus)
Time: 10:00am to 11:00am
Join special guest speaker Lucas Wright, an Open Education Advisor at BCcampus, for an overview and discussion of how open educational resources and practices are transforming post-secondary teaching and learning here in British Columbia and beyond:
- How open educational resources (OER) can be adapted for different disciplines and teaching contexts
- Ways that post-secondary institutions in British Columbia are using OER to make education more accessible
- Avenues for finding, reusing and remixing OER
- Approaches to engaging students as co-creators and partners in the classroom
Session 2: Open Education and OER in Action at SFU
Speakers: Diana Bedoya (Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology), Leith Davis (English), Erin Hogg (Archaeology), Petra Menz (Mathematics), Brian Shannon (English)
Time: 11:00am to 12:30pm
Join us for a panel of students, instructors and staff leading OER initiatives here at SFU discussing:
- Why and how they became interested in OER
- What kinds of OER-related projects and/or initiatives they have been working on
- How instructors have integrated open textbooks or other OER in to their courses and teaching practice
- How the use of open textbooks or other OER impacts student learning
Session 3: OER Tools & Platforms Showcase
Speakers: Jason Toal (Teaching and Learning Centre), Lucas Wright (BCcampus), Kar-On Lee (Teaching and Learning Centre), Rebecca Dowson (Library)
Time: 1:00pm to 3:00pm
Ready to begin finding, using, remixing, or creating your own OER? This session will introduce you to Pressbooks, Canvas Commons, and Omeka.net, three tools that you can use to get started. We'll kick things off with a brief overview of what each tool does, and then break out into groups for a hands-on deep dive into the tool of your choice.
Please register for each session individually.