Student Learning Commons: Presentations and Participation
The best way to gain confidence and skills in participating in class, speaking in public, or delivering presentations is frequent practice.
Safe places to practice your speaking skills
- Conversation Café (Student Learning Commons).
Burnaby Mountain Toastmasters at SFU
- Burnaby Mountain Toastmasters meets year-round at SFU Burnaby, Wednesdays 6:30 pm-8:15pm. Locations vary, so Interested persons should join the mailing list by contacting email@example.com, or check the Facebook page.
Surrey Business Friends Toastmasters (meets year-round at SFU Surrey, Rm. 3120, Thursdays 7:20 AM - 8:50 AM.
- Contact Jamie McDonald ((firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or just drop by.)
- Toastmasters - Find a club near you.
The Student Learning Commons offers free PowerPoint workshops to SFU students during the Fall & Spring semesters.
Student Learning Commons and other SFU resources
- Giving Effective Presentations - Covers organizing the presentation, practising, presenting, and using computer slides.
- Presentation Confidence - Covers common fears, relaxation, visualization and other topics.
- Business Presentations - A SFU Library page that links to resources to help you conduct a successful presentation in Business or any other discipline.
- Effective Seminar Presentation
- Adventures of Jason (Part 1) - a comic about how a new international student learns to about effective tutorial participation, as well as other academic tasks (produced by SFU's Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and the English as an Additional Language Implementation Project).
Online Class Participation/ Discussion Fora
- Tips and Techniques from Toastmasters - Tips on preparation, speaking style, and use of visual aids.
- Conquering fear from Toastmasters - Lots of inspirational and practical information.
- Managing nervousness during presentations (University of Guelph) - Tips on various aspects of presentations.
- Overcoming anxiety (Syntaxis) - Covers preparation, relaxation techniques, and a reality check about making mistakes.
- Undeniable Conference Impact: Using Visual Aids (CorporateConferenceCalls.com) - Has everything you need to know about visual aids including different types, and how to use visual aids for particular types of material (eg: statistics).
- Designing Effective Visuals (University of Kansas) - Online tutorial on using visual aids in presentations.
- Designing an Effective PowerPoint Presentation (Purdue University OWL) - 4-part online workshop including "Quick Guide", "Before you Start", "Design Principles," and "Practical Guides." NOTE: Specific how-to references are to the PowerPoint 97-2003 version, not 2007.
- Speak up in Class and Add to Class Discussions (City College of San Francisco) - Simple, practical tips.
- Self-Help Materials: Class Participation (Potomac State College, West Virginia Unversity) - Brief explanation of why it is important to participate in class and quick tips on how to do it.
- Class Participation (Gustavus Adolphus College) - Brief set of tips focusing on when to participate and when not to participate.
- Participating in Discussion Classes (Gustavus Adolphus College) - Tips on preparation, participation, and note-taking in discussion classes.
Web discussion forum participation
- Communicating Online: Netiquette (UBC) - Tips for respectful and productive online communication.
- Blackboard Discussion Forum Participation (Lawrence Technological University) - Examples of what high, medium, and low quality discussion forum contributions look like.