SFU Library Services for the General Public and External Borrowers
Welcome to the SFU Library. This guide describes resources and services available to Library users who are not members of the SFU community (faculty, staff, students, alumni). Members of the general public are welcome to use books and other library resources within the SFU Library branches at SFU Burnaby (Bennett Library), SFU Vancouver (Belzberg Library) and SFU Surrey (Fraser Library), and may also purchase external borrower cards to borrow materials from the general collection.
You will need a password to log in to many of the computers in the Bennett and Surrey Libraries. Please ask staff at the Loans/Circulation Counter to create this for you when you purchase your external borrower card.
Note that neither the external borrower card nor the computer password will enable you to access the Library's licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) from home or elsewhere outside the Library, nor to use computers in other campus labs.
If you need further information, ask a Library staff member in person, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (Bennett 778.782.3869, Belzberg 778.782.5050 or Surrey 778.782.7411).
External borrower cards can be obtained or purchased at the Circulation/Loans desk of the Bennett Library, the Belzberg Library or the Surrey Campus Library. All borrowing is subject to the Loans Policy and fines. External borrower cards for members of the general public can be purchased per year (12 consecutive months) or per semester (4 consecutive months). See External Borrower Cards for information regarding fees.
External borrowers may:
- Use research assistance and materials at all three libraries;
- Borrow general circulating material at all libraries, under the same loan periods as undergraduates;
- Request books that are out on loan to other users;
- Request items, with the exception of specialized collections such as Media Resource Centre (formerly Media Collection) material, to be transferred from one campus to another;
- Request up to three journal article photocopies per day to be transferred from Bennett to Belzberg or SFU Surrey and vice versa (articles will be provided at a cost of $3.00 each);
- Access selected licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, etc.) within the Library buildings.
External borrowers may not:
- Use multimedia equipment and games held by the SFU Surrey Library, which are only accessible to SFU Surrey students;
- Borrow laptops or other equipment at the Bennett Library;
- Use Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery services;
- Access Reserve materials;
- Access licensed electronic resources (e.g. databases, ejournals, ebooks, etc.) from outside the Library;
- Access SFU's wireless network (a valid SFU computing account is required - click here for more information).
Further information about external borrowing privileges for those affiliated with the University is available here.
Giving to the SFU Library
Thank you for considering a gift to the SFU Library. Your gift will allow us to enhance the Simon Fraser University Library for the benefit of students, faculty and the community. With your help, we can continue to grow.