Writing & Style Guides
Citation style guides
- APA (6th ed.) | APA (animated tutorial)
- MLA (7th ed.) | MLA (animated tutorial)
- Chicago/Turabian (16th ed.)
Hints for writers:
- In addition to the guides listed above, librarians can recommend additional resources and often find helpful examples.
- Formatting a citation often requires judgement from the writer.
- All relevant citation elements for an item can usually be identified in the catalogue or journal article database record in which the item was found. Your citation in turn enables readers to find the item.
How to cite: types of publications
- Business sources (APA style, 6th ed.)
- Government documents, Canadian: APA style | MLA style | Chicago style
- Legal research materials. Lederman Law Library, Queen's University. Examples of citations for Canadian legal research resources.
Statistical data (SFU library guide)
- How to Cite Statistics Canada Products. From Statistics Canada. A new online tool that describes how to build a reference when citing any type of Statistics Canada product.
Other citation styles
- Citing for Anthropologists - American Anthropological Association (AAA) - Style Guide
Citing for archaeologists - SAA style (Society for American Archaeology)
- Style Guide for American Antiquity and Latin American Antiquity. Scroll down to page 14 to see citation formats.
- Citing for biologists - CSE style by Diana Hacker.
- Citing for chemists - ACS Style (American Sociological Association)
- Citing for engineers - IEEE style
Citing for health professionals:
AMA manual of style: A guide for authors and editors
- See also the AMA Citation Style Guide from the British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Citing Medicine: The NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers
Vancouver Style, like NLM style, uses Citing Medicine: The NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers
- See also the University of Queensland Vancouver style guide
- AMA manual of style: A guide for authors and editors
- Citing for social scientists - ASA Style
Canadian Journal of Communication / Author guidelines
- Scroll down the page to see citation formats.
- This is a generic name for author-date style for citing and referencing. It is not affiliated with Harvard University or with any other institution or authority, therefore some rules have been interpreted slightly differently by different institutions. There are many styles which follow the author-date rules, and one of them is the APA style.
- Use the Assignment Calculator to help you break down your writing assignments into a series of manageable steps. All you need to get started is the date your assignment is due.
Student Learning Commons (SLC).
- Writing and learning support services across the three SFU campuses. Services are provided through workshops, personal consultations, print and online resources, as well as through classroom collaborations with faculty and other instructors.
Writing for university
- Learn or review the strategies and processes involved in academic writing and research, including writing for specific genres or disciplines, drafting your paper, self-editing, and writing at the graduate level.
- Find quick tips on how to structure your research and essay from this series of two-page handouts provided by the Student Learning Commons.
- Preparing and submitting your thesis
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- Citation information and sample papers for MLA, APA, Chicago and CSE styles
Plagiarism - What is plagiarism and how you can avoid it.
- Take the SFU Library interactive tutorial Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism to test yourself and to learn more about plagiarism.
Le plagiat - qu'est-ce que le plagiat et comment l'éviter?
- Inscrivez-vous à la séance interactive de tutorat de SFU "Comprendre et éviter le plagiat" (Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism) pour évaluer vos connaissances en matière de plagiat.
- Converting documents to PDF. Free online service from pdfonline.com.
- Link Checker. Check links on your web pages. From W3C.
- TinyURL™. This site converts long URLs into short ones.