SA 210: Introduction to Power and Regulation of Self and Others (S)
- Writing and Style Guides (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Understanding and Avoiding Plagiariasm (tutorial)
- Background Information (For more Encyclopedias)
- Encyclopedia of social theory HM 425 E47 2005.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences: IESBS / H 41 I58 2001
Click on to "Search this title" in left hand column. Enter "power" and search for it as "title" word (pulldown menu).
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences 2nd. ed / also in print H 40 A2 I5 2008
- Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice 2nd ed HV 6017 E52 2002
- Encyclopedia of feminist theories /ed. L. Code. 2002 edition. Print HQ 1190 E63 2000
- Encyclopedia of international media and communications - Also in print P 87.5 E532 2003
- Encyclopedia of race and racism
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Sage eReference
- Journal articles,
- Selected Journals
- Selected website
- RefWorks / RefWorks FAQs, RefWorks Cribsheet -- manage your bibliographies
- Citation Finder Use this tool to locate journal articles, books, etc. when you have a specific citation but don't know where to find the item.
- you could start with keyword search :
- power AND theor* (use truncation symbol, "*" the asterisk, for variations of a word ending)
- (socio-cultural or sociocultural) dynamics
- social stratification
- social stratification and canad*
- heterosexism and canad*
- structural inequality
- racial profiling
- (poverty or poor) and (theor* or durkheim or parsons or weber)
- citizenship and border*
- mass media and (racism or representation)
- mass media and (minorit* or immigrant* or aborig*)
- mass media and power
- representation and (add other concept words here)
- From your list of titles that appear from keyword search (above), check their subject headings.
- Try "subject" searches. Note: if you have a large list of titles, sort by "newest first" by pressing the "limit" icon. Some typical subject headings that may be helpful for this class include:
- Crime -- Sociological Aspects (topic and subheading, "sociological aspects")
- Discrimination In Law Enforcement Canada
Poverty / Power / Social Classes / Inequality
- Authority -- 6 Related Subjects
- Differentiation (Sociology)
- Poverty -- 5 Related Subjects
- Power Social Sciences -- 7 Related Subjects
- Power Social Sciences -- Canada
- Social Classes -- 13 Related Subjects
- Social Classes -- Canada
- Social classes -- United States
- Social Stratification -- See Also Social classes
- Canada -- Race relations
- Racism -- 3 Related Subjects
- Racism -- Canada
- Racial Profiling In Law Enforcement
- Racism in the press -- Canada -- Case studies
- Sociology -- Philosophy
- Sociology -- History
- Foucault, Michel (names of theorists as "subject")
- Said, Edward
- Mohanty, Chandra -Note: no complete books about her, so no subject heading in the library catalogue... try keyword search instead
- Razack, Sherene -- same with this person .... keyword search results
- Bourdieu, Pierre
- Discourse Analysis - social aspects
- Representation (Philosophy)
- Visual anthropology
- Peace Movements
- Protest Movements
- Social movements
- Social movements -- see 27 related subject headings
- Feminism -- 17 Related Subjects
Have a look at our complete list of electronic article and citation databases to see the range of what's available to you. Databases vary widely. Some provide you with full text articles, others with only citations, some with both. If the full text of the article is not available, however, most of the databases at SFU will give you the option to find the article either in print in the Library, in another electronic database or at another institution. Click on the "Where Can I Get This?" link in the citation. This process is described in greater detail in the "How to Find Journal Articles" tutorial.
Sociological Abstracts : Sociological aspects of twenty-nine broad topics, including anthropology, business, collective behaviour, community development, disaster studies, education, environmental studies, gender studies, gerontology, law and penology, marriage and family studies, medicine and health, racial interactions, social psychology, social work, sociological theory, stratification, substance abuse, urban studies, and violence.
CBCA Fulltext Reference - Covers Canadian topics including business, politics, literature, history and news events.
Communication & Mass Media Complete - Covers journals in the fields of communication, mass media studies, linguistics and film including full text for over 400 journals.
- Social Theory: fulltext. ... database brings together an extensive range of influential writings......seminal works by such theorists as Harriet Martineau, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Max Weber, Karl Marx, Emile Durkheim, Jürgen Habermas, Talcott Parsons, Michel Foucault and Jean Baudrillard.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1600-2000 -- in-depth access to the published histories and records of women’s reform organizations throughout the United States during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Recommended by H. Kang.
It is best to search for these journals through a database such as Sociological Abstracts. If you wish to limit your search in these individual journals from within that database, try entering the "name of the journal" in the search box with the option of "Journal name, JN=" from the pulldown menu.
- World Economic Forum - Global Gender Gap Report 2009
- United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWAGE) - Women's Watch - groups information about world's women
- Community Health Online Digital Archive & Research Resource (CHODARR) - online digital archive of research materials related to health and social welfare, with an emphasis on housing, gender, aboriginal issues, HIV and mental health.
- Reproductive Technologies: Surrogacy, and Egg and Sperm Donation (9 February 2006)
- Media Awareness Network by MediaWatch
- ELDIS Gateway to Development Information -