PUB 371 Structure of the Book Publishing Industry in Canada
This guide is a starting point for library research required for the PUB 371 assignments. For further assistance, please contact Nina Smart, Publishing Librarian at Belzberg Library, 778.782.5051 or email@example.com, Monday to Thursday.
- Course outline
- Information for distance students SFU guide
- Publishing and related organizations
- Book contracts
- Finding publisher and industry information including bestseller lists
Finding books and articles for term papers
"This course explores the forces, ideas, and issues shaping the publishing industry in this country today. It examines what is happening in contemporary Canadian publishing, what past and present influences have given the industry its current form, and where it might be headed in the future. Topics include legal foundations of publishing such as contracts and copyright, the interaction of technology and publishing, the economics of cultural industries, government support for publishing, and more."
- Blockbusters and trade wars : popular culture in a globalized world Also in print HM 621 G72 2004
- Online articles from Quill and Quire (select SFU Library Journals II and follow signon instructions), Wired and Canadian Journal of Communication
- Additional information via WebCT
- ABEbooks "world's largest online marketplace for books"
- ABPBC Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia
- Association of Canadian Publishers (ACP) "voice of independent publishers in Canada"
- BookNet Canada "dedicated to innovation in the Canadian book industry supply chain"
- Canada Book Fund Heritage Canada
Book Publishing Support: Emerging Publisher Grants and Block Grants Canada Council for the Arts Writing and Publishing Program
- Canadian Booksellers Association "books above all"
Canadian Publishers Council (CPC) "Canada's main English language book publishing trade association"
Literary Press Group of Canada (LPG) " foster the survival, growth and maintenance of Canadian owned and operated publishing houses"
- Livres Canada Books (formerly Association for the Export of Canadian Books)
- See also: Associations section of Publishing Information Resources
Cultural Policy - Canada
- Canadian Heritage Arts and Culture Includes sections on Books and Magazines, and a list of their Publications
- Canada Book Fund (formerly BPIDP, aka "Bippydip") Canadian Heritage
- Periodical Publishing Policy and Programs Directorate Canadian Heritage
Canada Council for the Arts Writing and Publishing section
Cultural Policy - outside of Canada
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport (UK)
- Arts Council England
- Arts Council of Northern Ireland
- Creative Scotland
Compendium of Cultural Policies and Trends in Europe Council of Europe
- Literature Board of the Australia Council for the Arts
- New Zealand Book Council
- Cultural Policy Database Culturelink (possibly dated)
- Help yourself to a better contract : a guide for evaluating and negotiating your trade book contract PN 155 H42 2006
- Model trade book contract PN 155 M63 2001
- Clark's publishing agreements : a book of precedents KD 1340 A65 P8 2007
Selling rights KD 1340 O96 2006
- For more books on authors and contracts, search the SFU catalogue in the PN 155 area.
See also a Sample Publishing Contract
- Canadian publishers' directory Online via Quill and Quire (SFU Library Journals II and click on the link labelled "Industry Directories") and print Z 485 C38
- Book trade in Canada Online via Quill and Quire (SFU Library Journals II and click on the link labelled "Industry Directories") Older editions in print Z 485 B661
- Canadian Publishers' Catalogues from Northern Lights
- Canadian ISBN Publishers' Directory from Library and Archives Canada
- Francophone titles under Numéro ISBN attribué aux éditeurs francophones canadiens from the Bibliothèque nationale at Archives du Québec.
See also: a selection of catalogues from Canadian publishers next to the Belzberg Library bound journals.
Publishing Industry Information
- Euromonitor reports from Passport GMID Sample report: "Canadian Consumers in 2020: A Look into the Future" for book expenditures
- MINT Global Select "Search industry research" to search the Industry: publishing. Sample profile: "Publishing in Canada"
- See also: Statistics and Industry Reports section of Publishing Information Resources
- Quill and Quire (SFU Journals II) Sign in, click on News, and select Best sellers under View by Category
- Bestsellers List Globe and Mail online
- Bestsellers list Canadian Booksellers Association
- Macleans Books section
Canadian Daily Newspapers Lists are often in weekend editions under section Entertainment - Books
To find books about aspects of the publishing industry, search the SFU catalogue under Subjects such as:
- Book Industries And Trade -- Canada
- Publishers And Publishing -- Canada
- Larger publishing houses might have books written about them; search the catalogue by Subject under their name (e.g. Raincoast Books)
To find journal articles about aspects of the publishing industry or individual publishers, try one of the following online indexes:
- CBCA Fulltext Reference Canadian business, academic and general interest periodicals. Indexes Quill and Quire. Samples subjects: Book industry, Books, Publishing industry, Publishers and publishing.
- Business Source Complete major American business index; includes Publishers Weekly. Sample Subjects: Publishers and publishing, Book industries & trade. Can narrow search by Geographic term: Canada
- See also: Start Your Research Here for how to research term papers, including How to Find Journal Articles