History Information Resources: Facts & Data
A handbook is a single-volume reference book of compact size that provides concise factual information on a specific subject, organized systematically for quick and easy access. The following list are just a few of handbooks useful for historical research:
- The Routledge companion to European history since 1763
- The peoples of Canada : a pre-Confederation history, 2nd ed. FC 500 B86 2003
- Canada 's first nations : a history of founding peoples from earliest times, 4th ed. E 78 C2 D535 2009
- The Longman handbook of modern British history, 1714-2001, 4th ed. DA 470 C653 2001
- Chinese history : a manual. DS 735 W695 2000
- Handbook of Latin American Studies
- Historical statistics of Canada
- Historical statistics of the United States
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-2000, 5th ed. HA 1107 M5 2003
- International historical statistics : Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2000, 4th ed. HA 4675 M552 2003
- International historical statistics : the Americas, 1750-2000, 5th ed. HA 175 M55 2003
- Statistics Canada - Guide to finding statistical information produced by Statistics Canada, in print and online.
- British Columbia Statistics - Link to the BCStats website
- Canadian Census - This guide will help you to locate online and print census data
- Statistical Abstract - Published since 1878 by the U.S. Census Bureau, the Statistical Abstract of the United States, is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
A historical atlas is a book of maps showing the changes that have occurred over a given period of time in a geographic area or in the development of a spatial phenomenon or event. Historical atlases typically contain more text than a standard atlas and may also include a chronology or timeline and biographical notes on persons whose names appear in the text.
Listed below are some examples of historical atlases available at the SFU Library, however, you can search for subject specific atlases by adding the word atlas OR "historical atlas" to a keyword search in the library catalogue. For example: atlas AND "cold war", "historical atlas" AND "French Revolution".
- The Times atlas of world history, 4th ed. G 1030 T54 1993
- Concise historical atlas of Canada
- Historical atlas of the United States : with original maps. G 1201 S1 H4 2007
- Historical atlas of Central America. G 1551 S1 H2 2003
- An historical atlas of Central Asia
- Oxford Art Online - The most comprehensive online reference resource for all aspects of the visual arts worldwide from prehistory to the present day. Includes links to art images from galleries and museums around the world. Many images are held in private collections and are not readily available in public websites.
- ArtSTOR - The Collection documents artistic traditions across many times and cultures and embraces architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design as well as many other forms of visual culture.
- Art Images - SFU Library's Art Images is a growing collection of online images documenting a broad range of art in support of teaching, learning, and research at SFU. Currently the collection is composed of over 2000 images with an emphasis on the history of Western Art.