History Information Resources: Additional Resources
There are many databases that provide access to primary sources from various places, time periods and about specific topics. Consult the Primary Sources Guide for general recommendations on which databases to use for your area of research.
Associations and organizations
- Scholarly Societies: History - A project by the University of Waterloo. Facilitates access to websites of scholarly societies across the world.
- Association for Canadian Studies - Provides information and access to publications on the study of Canada.
- Canadian Historical Association
- American Historical Association
- History of Science Society - Science, technology, medicine, and their interactions with society in historical context.
- Historical Association - Promotes and supports the study and teaching of history at all levels.
- Government Resources - SFU Library guide to finding governmental information.
- Government Resources: Canadian Federal, Provincial and Local - SFU Library guide to finding Canadian governmental information.
- Government of Canada - Official website of the Government of Canada.
- Province of British Columbia - Official website of the Province of BC
Websites: Guides to Historical Information
- Ancient History Sourcebook - Provides access to primary source texts from the Ancient period.
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook - Provides access to primary source texts from the Medieval period.
- Internet Modern History Sourcebook - Provides access to primary sources from Modern period.
- History of Science Sourcebook - Provides access to historical primary source texts relating to science.
- Women's History Sourcebook - Provides access to historical primary sources texts relating to women's history around the world.
- Historical Text Archive - Publishes high quality articles, books, essays, documents, historical photos, and links for a broad range of historical subjects.
Military History and War
- The Avalon Project at the Yale Law School: Documents - Provides access to primary source documents in the fields of Law, History, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy and Government from Ancient times to present day.
- World War I Document Archive - International in focus, the archive contains primary documents concerning the Great War.
- World War II General Resources - Links to websites around the world that provide access to primary documents from WWII.
- remember.org - Provides access to images, first person accounts, audio/video clips and educational resources about the Holocaust.
- Canada's Digital Collections
- Early Canadiana Online
- Canadian Letters and Images Project - Online archive of the Canadian war experience, from any war, as told through the letters and images of Canadians themselves.
- Our Roots - Provides online access to historical materials reflecting the cultural and social heritage of Canada.
- The Avalon Project at Yale Law School - Provides access to primary source documents in the fields of Law, History, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy and Government from Ancient times to present day.
- American Memory - Library of Congress
- Making of America - A digital library of primary sources in American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction.
- Civil War Online Resources
- A Chronology of US Historical Documents
- Library of Congress: Bibliographies and Guides: US History
- British History Online - Digital library containing some of the core printed primary and secondary sources for the medieval and modern history of the British Isles.
- Eurodocs: Primary Historical Documents from Western Europe
- European History [from the Historical Text Archive]
- Handbook of Latin American Studies
- Border and Latin American Information
- Latin America [from the Historical Text Archive]
- Center for Middle Eastern Studies (from the University of Texas at Austin)
- Internet Islamic History Sourcebook
- Internet Jewish History Sourcebook