GSWS 320 - Cripping the Norm: Disability Studies and its Intersections
Professor: Trish Garner
Semester: Jan - Apr 2013
GSWS 320 ST: Cripping the Norm: Disability Studies and its Intersections
- Journal articles
- Government information
- RefWorks / RefWorks FAQs, SFU RefWorks Quick Guide (manage your bibliographies)
Fast Search - for both books and articles.
-- in Fast Search the connecting "AND" as well as "OR" need to be in capital letters for the correct logic to work.
Start by writing a question about your essay topic. The sentence will help you to identify "key concepts" to start your search. Next, create a "concept map" as in sample keyword searches below.
- Connect your main ideas with AND, and similar terms with OR.
- put your synonyms or related words in parentheses ( women or gender) joined by an OR
Use truncation, which is a shortcut expressed by a symbol, that searches variations and multiple endings of your search terms.
The most common truncation symbol is *(elect* will retrieve elect, elected, election, electoral, etc.)
- Start at the library catalogue (for books) or select a database (for journal articles--see below). Once you've conducted your search, look for other useful search terms in the results.
In the Library Catalogue, try the Advanced keyword search link. Think of each box as a separate concept. Put synonyms in the same box, joined with an "or". Put a different concept in a different box.
Try keyword search:
- (disabilit* or disabl*) and femini*
- (disabilit* or disabl*) and (women or gender)
- (disabl* or disabilit*) and (queer or transgender)
- (disabl* or disabilit*) and social construction
- (disabl* or disabilit*) and theor*
- (disabl* or disabilit*) and (race or class or gender)
- feminist theor* and ________ (keywords from your own topic)
- Search: disabilit* and femini* (do a keyword search in library catalogue, and use the pulldown menu to limit the search to e-resources)
Go from "keywords" searching to "subject" searching
- Examples of subject heading terms under Terminology
- Disability -- See Disabilities
- Disability Abuse -- See People with disabilities Abuse of
- Disability Insurance Government Policy United States
- Disability Insurance Law And Legislation Canada
- Disability Law -- See People with disabilities Legal status, laws, etc.
- Disability Retirement Canada
- Disability Retirement Law And Legislation Canada
- Disability studies
- Disabled Developmentally -- See Developmentally disabled
- People With Disabilities -- 56 Related Subjects
- People with disabilities
- People With Disabilities British Columbia Statistics
- People With Disabilities Canada
- People With Disabilities Canada Statistics
- People With Disabilities Civil Rights
- People With Disabilities Civil Rights Canada
- People With Disabilities Cross Cultural Studies
- People With Disabilities Employment
- People With Disabilities Employment British Columbia
- People With Disabilities Employment Canada
- People With Disabilities Employment Government Policy British Columbia
- People With Disabilities Employment Government Policy Canada
- People With Disabilities Government Policy British Columbia
- People With Disabilities Government Policy Canada
- People with disabilities in literature
- People with disabilities, Writings of
- People With Mental Disabilities -- 19 Related Subjects
- Sociology of disability
- Women With Disabilities -- 6 Related Subjects
- Women With Disabilities Canada
- Feminist ethics
- Feminist theory
- Queer theory
Database for Women's Studies
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Sociological Abstracts
- Academic Search Premier
- Business Source Complete
- Political Science Complete
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
ELDIS Gateway to Development Information
try their search engine. You can also search within their subject guides, e.g. within "poverty" guide, search for "disability"
- Social assistance and disability in developing countries/ A. Marriot; K. Gooding / Sightsavers International, 2010
- try their search engine. You can also search within their subject guides, e.g. within "poverty" guide, search for "disability"
- Google Scholar
- CBCA Fulltext Reference, -
- Canadian Public Policy Collection -- full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups.
Canadian Research Index -
- provides links to Canadian government publications (federal, provincial), parliamentary committees, royal commission reports, etc.
- remember to sort the results list by "Publication year, descending" order
- use the "microlog" number to locate the microfiche on the 6th floor of Library or check for possible links to Canadian government web sites.
Government of Canada
- use their search engine to search for "disabilities". It will result in reports from many departments.
- Human Resources and Skills Canada (Labour Canada)
Statistics Canada Publication Indexes search for Statistics Canada materials by going through the SFU Catalogue, so that you can easily find materials that the Library subscribes to. Their software 20/20 allows you to see it in Excel-like table. Start with the search engine on the link below:
- Use their search engine. Try the word "disabled" or "disabilit*"
- Use SFU's Index of Downloadable Statistics Canada Publications for free access to many items you find in this catalogue.
- Finding data on women: A guide to major sources at Statistics Canada
- Annual Demographic Statistics
- Status of Women
- Government of British Columbia
- City of Vancouver
United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWAGE) - Women's Watch - groups information about world's women.
- use their search engine search for terms such as: women and disability
- WomenWatch: Feature on Women with Disabilities
- ACORN Canada
- BC Poverty Reduction Coalition's website
- BCCPD BC Coalition of People with Disabilities
- Institute for Women's Policy Research - online pdf documents.
- PovNet - Building an online anti-poverty community (B.C. Poverty Reduction Coalition)