Women's Studies Information Resources: Facts & Data
- Collecting and interpreting qualitative materials, 3rd ed. H 62 C566 2008
- Doing qualitative research : a practical handbook H 62 S55 2000
- Doing visual ethnography : images, media and representation in research, 2nd ed. GN 347 P56 2007
- Finding data on women : a guide to major sources at Statistics Canada HQ 1236.5 C3 F56 2007
- Handbook of critical and indigenous methodologies GN 345 H364 2008
- Handbook of emergent methods H 62 H24538 2008
- Handbook of environmental sociology GE 195 H35 2002
- Handbook of ethical research with ethnocultural populations and communities GN 495.4 T75 2006
- Handbook of ethnography GN 345 H365 2001
- Handbook of feminist research : theory and praxis HQ 1180 H35 2007
- Handbook of gender and women's studies HQ 1180 H36 2006
- Handbook of social research ethics In Process
- Handbook of studies on men and masculinities HQ 1090 H33 2005
- Handbook of the new sexuality studies HQ 21 H3234 2007
- Handbook for social science field research H 62 H24528 2006
- Handbook of the sociology of racial and ethnic relations
- Handbook of the sociology of gender
- Handbook of the sociology of religion BL 60 D54 2003
- International handbook of research on indigenous entrepreneurship HB 615 I578 2007
- SAGE handbook of applied social research methods, 2nd ed. H 62 H24534 2009
- SAGE handbook of fieldwork H 62 S24 2006
- SAGE handbook of online research methods ZA 4228 S34 2008
- Finding and Using Online Images Guide
- ARTstor : A repository of hundreds of thousands of digital images and related data
- MIRAGE—Map Image Rendering Database for Geoscience: MIRAGE is a digital image library of Geological Survey of Canada maps. See also Digital Geoscience Maps interactive map tool
- GEOSCAN Database: Repository of Earth Sciences Sector bibliographic material which may contain digitized images and maps
- The Allyn & Bacon social atlas of the United States G 1201 E6 F74 2008
- The atlas of early man. 1976. Map Collection Reference CB 311 H35
- The atlas of religion BL 80.3 O27 2007
- Atlas of the North American Indian. Rev ed. Bennett Library, Bennett Reference E 77 W28 2000
- The New World's old world : photographic views of ancient America. Bennett Library E 61 N53 2003
- The Penguin atlas of women in the world, 4th ed. G1046 E1 S4 2009
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection—Historical Maps. Hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.
- The Times archaeology of the world. Bennett Reference G 1046 E15 T55 1999
- The world atlas of archaeology. Map Collection Reference G 1046 E15 W6 1985
Want to find out how to cite images? Check out the SFU Library's guide on Images for information on locating and using images as well as how to cite them.
The Library has many statistical yearbooks for countries, regions, and international organizations. Search the catalogue using the keywords "statistical (yearbook or abstract)" and the country, region, or organization name, e.g., "statistical (yearbook or abstract) Latin America."
- Finding data on women: a guide to the major sources at Statistics Canada. HQ 1236.5 F56 2007.
The place to start for current BC socio-economic statistics, including quick facts and historical tables. Note that SFU researchers have access to several key BC Stats publications online.
- Women Count: a statistical profile of women in British Columbia. HQ 1459 B7 W592 2000.
- British Columbia Economic Accounts - A statistical picture of the BC economy on a national accounts basis.
- Historical Statistics of Canada HA 746 U7
Statistics Canada Publication Indexes
- Canadian Census 2001, Topic-based Tabulations ; Canadian Census 2006
- Canadian Social Trends (11-008-XIE) - Quarterly, discusses the social, economic, and demographic changes affecting the lives of Canadians; contains the latest figures for major social indicators.
- CANSIM Time series of Canadian data on national accounts, financial institutions, corporate finance, government, population, labour, prices, construction, investment, trade, travel, and industry.
- E-Stat Some Canadian census data as well as access to CANSIM II - allows creation of customized graphs and maps. Note that the E-Stat version of CANSIM is only updated once a year. Use CANSIM (above) for the most current data.
- Index of Downloadable Statistics Canada Publications
- Juristat - (85-002) - crime statistics, homicide, shelters for women, prostitution, etc.
Provides current and historical Canadian socio-economic statistics as well as descriptions of Statscan's products and services. Always check the SFU Library catalogue to see if we own the material that you find cited at the Statistics Canada site
- Fedstats - over 70 agencies in the United States Federal Government.
- US Bureau of the Census. -detailed US socio-economic statistics based on the US Census and other surveys.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: HA 202 A2 ( recommended). Updated annually, provides detailed source notes so you can locate the original source from which the tables are composed. Largely federal, also many relevant state-level tables. Note! Tables within one edition do not necessarily correspond to tables containing the same information in another edition. Table numbering varies from edition to edition.
- Historical Statistics of the United States: fully searchable database. Can graph individual tables and create customized tables and spreadsheets.
- Asian Development Bank - 64 members. Choose a "country" or "topic" from pull down menus.Choose "topics"gender and development" to find a report on a particular country, or "microfinance".
- Genderinfo - USE INTERNET EXPLORER. Takes a bit of time to load.
- The global gender gap report (annual)
- Statistical record of women worldwide. Bennett Reference HQ 1150 S73 1991
- Statistical yearbook. United Nations. 1948- HA 12.5 U63
- Statistical yearbook. UNESCO. 1968- AZ 361 U45
United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWAGE) - Women's Watch - groups information about world's women
- International Instruments and Treaty Bodies (U.N. Conventions, declarations, human rights)
- Thematic Issues and Critical Areas of Concern: e.g. Human Rights and Women, Men & Boys,
- Statistics -
- Women of the World: Regions and Countries
- Unifem (U.N. Development fund for women) - Thematic resources
- UNDATA (Formerly known as "UNSTATS - United Nations Statistical Common Database". - check "country profiles" and "topics" links. - comparative data from many UN sources. e.g. In the first box, look for "indicators on men & women" by countries (maternity benefits, part-time employment), "key global indicators", "World development indicators"
- Wistat (Women's Indicators and Statistics Database), for 206 countries. For older, comparative data.
- World Bank - Gender and Development, GenderStats Database of Gender Statistics
World Development Indicators - Direct access to more than 600 development indicators with time series for 208 countries from 1960. Can select multiple variables to create exportable reports, charts or maps. Go to the "Data" tab in the left column. You can look at "key indicators" for country or region, and download them into Excel if needed
- Demography & Population Studies - A World Wide Web Virtual Library site, this provides links to demographic information facilities and resources world-wide.
- Europa World
- International historical statistics : Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 4675 M552 2003
- International historical statistics : Europe, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 1107 M5 2003
- International historical statistics : the Americas, 1750-2000. Bennett Reference HA 175 M55 2003. Provides information about each country in the world in a standardized format. Brief statistical information.
- Index to international statistics : IIS. 1983- Bennett Reference Indexes HA 155 I58
- Research Data Library - SFU Library's collection of machine-readable files, including Cansim, Citibase, IMF statistics, social science data files from many national and international sources, and data from individual researchers and private organizations. Check the Research Data Library Catalogue for a list of data files.
- SourceOECD - Click the Statistics tab, browse contents on the left side of the screen for available databases.
- Statistical abstract of the world. Belzberg Reference and Bennett Library, HA 155 S7 1997
- Statistical Resources on the Web - (Univ Michigan Library), this site links to statistical resources on a wide variety of topics from all around the world.