Spatial Information Science Information Resources
This guide lists selected print and electronic information sources available to SFU faculty, students, and staff. Check the library catalogue to find additional materials at the SFU Library.
Table of Contents
Check the main Geography resource page for links to library research guides prepared for specific courses.
Use the following SUBJECT searches in the Library Catalogue to find books about cartography, geographic information systems, and other Spatial Information Science topics:
Alternatively, you may search by Keyword. For example, try the Keyword search cartography AND landscape. One of the books you will find is Spatial Statistics: Geospatial Information Modeling and Thematic Mapping [print].
The SFU Library collection also includes atlases, sheet maps, digital maps, air photos and gazetteers. All except for older air photos are listed in the Library Catalogue. Detailed instructions for finding maps at SFU Library are in the Geography - Finding Maps and Atlases guide. See the Map Collection guide for more complete information about map resources at SFU Library.
Use these indexes to locate journal articles on your topic.
Index covering all aspects of geography. The first place to look for any Geography topic.
Cartographic topics related to geology.
Geology, Earth Sciences, publications from Geological Survey of Canada
Remote sensing and GIS in the Arctic regions.
Remote sensing and GIS applied to Canadian geomorphology.
Additions to the research catalogue of the American Geographical Society Collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
A combined search of all of the Web of Science Citation indexes.
See also these sources which cover all topics in Geography
- Oxford Bibliographies Online - subject modules written and peer-reviewed by experts.
- The SAGE Handbook of GIS and Society [online] | [print]
- The SAGE Handbook of Remote Sensing [print]
- USGS Topographic Map Symbols
- The AGI Source Book for Geographic Information Systems [print]
- Bibliographia Cartographica [online]
- Geographic Information: How to Find It, How to Use It [print]
- SFU Electronic Journals - Geography
- Resources for Geographers: Journals - (University of Colorado) A selective list of web-based geography journals
The Electronic Journals Database provides access to full text of electronic journals available to SFU Library users, on the web and through selected periodical indexes. To find other journals subscribed to by SFU Library, search for the title of the journal in the Library Catalogue by selecting Journal title from the pull-down menu and then typing the title of the journal in the search box. Print journals are shelved alphabetically by title on the 6th floor of the library. If SFU has access to a web edition you can use the "Online Access" link in the Library Catalogue.
- American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing (ASPRS)
- Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives
- British Cartographic Society
- Canadian Cartographic Association
- Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (IEEE)
- International Cartographic Association
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society
- Society of Cartographers
See also Resources of Scholarly Societies - Geography which has links to 45 scholarly societies dealing with Geography.
- GeoConnections - Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI) - Canadian geospatial information initiative. Find and download geospatial data, and access a variety of resources including:
- National Forest Information Systems (NFIS)
- GeoBC Gateway - Includes links to Base Maps, and the TRIM Program.
- British Columbia Geological Survey - Includes Map Place.ca where you can create and download custom maps.
- Geoweb: North Vancouver District GIS - Mapping, census, land, environmental, zoning, and building data.
- BC Watershed Atlas Maps
United States and International
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) - Maps, Imagery, and Publications - A range of products including the National Map Small-Scale Collection
- United Nations Cartographic Section - General maps of countries and regions, peacekeeping maps, thematic maps and more.
- Data.gov - Datasets
- United States Census Bureau - Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER)
- United Nations Atlas of the Oceans
- Alexandria Digital Library (ADL)
- American Geographical Society Library (maps, atlases, and digital spatial data)
- Library of Congress Map Collections (part of the American Memory Collection)
- The Geographic Information Centre - University of British Columbia
- Maps & Atlases - University of British Columbia
- Perry-Castenada Library Map Collection - U of Texas at Austin
Aerial photography / satellite images
- The Atlas of Canada
- National Map Small-Scale Collection (USGS)
- GeoBC Atlas
- Atlas Quebec
- Atlas of Saskatchewan
- Atlas of Switzerland
- Blank and Outline Maps (world, continents, countries, Canadian provinces, US States)
- David Rumsey Map Collection (18th and 19th century North and South American cartographic materials)
- National Geographic MapMaker Interactive (US and international political, physical, climate and thematic maps)
- ArcGIS.com - ESRI
- Google Earth
- Google Maps
- Bing Maps
- Landkarten & Stadtplan Index (maps, city plans, route planer, earthquake Maps, satellite pictures, historical maps and many other maps from around the world. German site.)
- TerraServer (Topographic maps and orthophotos for the United States)
- Topo Maps - Trails.com
- Yahoo Maps
- Making Sense: A Student's Guide to Research and Writing: Geography & Environmental Sciences [print]
- Communicating in Geography and the Environmental Sciences [print]
- Study Skills for Geography, Earth and Environmental Science Students [print]
- How to do Your Dissertation in Geography and Related Disciplines [online] | [print]
- SFU Library's guides to APA, MLA and Chicago/Turabian styles.
- Guide to Citing Maps and Atlases (McMaster University)
- Referencing and Citation Management Software