Physical Geography Information Resources
Table of Contents
Check the main Geography resource page for links to library research guides prepared for specific courses.
Use these indexes to locate journal articles on your topic. Note: other indexes may be useful for your topic - Ask a librarian for help in choosing the best index for your topic.
Index covering all aspects of geography. The first place to look for any Geography topic.
Science and Social Science Citation Indexes.
Covers all aspects of Earth Sciences.
Geology, Earth Sciences, publications from Geological Survey of Canada
Covers all aspects of Geography in English, French and German.
Additions to the research catalogue of the American Geographical Society Collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- The Dictionary of Physical Geography [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Physical Geography [print]
- Glossary of Hydrology [print]
- Illustrated Glossary of Alpine Glacial Landforms
- A Dictionary of Geography (Oxford) [online] | [print]
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Geography [online]
- Houghton Mifflin Dictionary of Geography [online] | [print]
- Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary [print]
- Vocabulaire canadien du quaternaire = Canadian Quaternary Vocabulary [print]
- Companion Encyclopedia of Geography, the Environment and Humankind [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Deserts [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Geographical Features in World History : Europe and the Americas [print]
- Encyclopedia of Geomorphology [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences [print]
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences [print]
- Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Trees [print]
- Geo-Data: the World Geographical Encyclopedia [online] | [print]
- Handbook of Soil Sciences [online] | [print]
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences [print]
- Tree Book: Learning to Recognize Trees of British Columbia (Forest Service BC)
- Water Encyclopedia [online] | [print]
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography (online textbook)
- Virtual Geography Department (links to online Geography courses and curriculum materials).
- Geoscience Data Repository (free databases from NRCAN)
- Digital Terrain Data (NOAA)
- Water Survey of Canada (Hydat CD-ROM available at SFU Library)
- GeoConnections - Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI)
- NSIDC Data Catalog - National Snow and Ice Data Center, US
- SoilDataMart (Sources of soil data, USDA )
- Water Data (USGS)
- National Climatic Data Center (US Department of Commerce): World's largest archive of climate data.
Detailed instructions for finding maps at SFU Library are in the Geography - Finding Maps and Atlases guide. See the Map Collection guide for more complete information about map resources at SFU Library. The SFU Library collection also includes atlases, sheet maps, digital maps, air photos and gazeteers.
- Geoscape Vancouver
- GeoGratis (NRCan) - a portal provided by the Earth Sciences Sector (ESS) of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) which provides geospatial data at no cost via your Web browser. The collections include raster data, such as satellite images or scanned topographic maps, vector data, such as national-scale frameworks (grouped by theme), and a database of ground control points.
- Google Earth
- Google Maps
- Data, Maps & Tools Directory (NRCan)
- BC Geology Maps - Ministry of Energy and Mines
- USGS National Geologic Map Database
The Electronic Journals Database provides access to fulltext of electronic journals available to SFU Library users, on the web and through selected periodical indexes.
- SFU Electronic Journals - Geography
- Resources for Geographers: Journals - (University of Colorado) A selective list of web-based geography journals
- Scholarly Societies - Geography (links to 45 scholarly societies dealing with Geography)
- Canadian Association of Geographers
- Royal Canadian Geographic Society
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Energy and Mines
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
- U.S. Geological Survey (includes USGS Earthquake Hazards Program where you will find information on earthquakes around the world).
For information on additional government sources, see Government Resources web page.
- About.com - Geography (popular and academic sites)
- Geography World (US-centric, introductory level)
- Ingenta: Geography (links to many online publications)
- Internet Resources for Geographers (U. of Colorado at Boulder)
- Internet Resources for Geographers and Geologists (U. of Wisconsin)
- Canadian Geographic Education (CCGE)
- Intute: Geography (UK universities)
- Biogeography: Radford University Biogeography (Susan L. Woodward - includes a module on Major Biomes of the World)
- Geomorphology: CGRG Internet Bibliography of Canadian Geomorphology and Dr. Tracy Brennand's Paleoglaciology
- Hydrology: Water Survey of Canada
- Coastal Resources: Centre for Coastal Science and Management (SFU)
- Making Sense: A Student's Guide to Research and Writing: Geography & Environmental Sciences [print]
- Communicating in Geography and the Environmental Sciences [print]
- Study Skills for Geography, Earth and Environmental Science Students [print]
- How to do Your Dissertation in Geography and Related Disciplines [print]
- SFU Library's guides to APA, MLA and Chicago/Turabian styles.
- Guide to Citing Maps and Atlases
- Preparing and Submitting Your Thesis: Information Resources