First Nations Research Resources: Additional Resources
Associations & organizations
Directories of Websites
Government information (Canada, U.S., International)
Links to other relevant guides
Goodminds.com - a First Nations online vendor/bookstore (subject listing of books/dvds)
- Aboriginal Canada Portal - National Aboriginal Organizations
- Aboriginal Rights Coalition
- Aboriginal Youth Network
- Assembly of First Nations
- Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs
- B.C. Assembly of First Nations
- Canadian Bar Association - National Aboriginal Law section
- Congress of Aboriginal Peoples
- First Nations Schools Association
- First Nations Summit
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami - an Inuit Rights organization
- Metis National Council - click on the "women" link
- Métis National Council of Women
- NAHO National Aboriginal Health Organization
- Native Women's Association
- National Association of Tribal Historic Preservation Officers (NATHPO)
- Pauktuutit Inuit Women's Association
- Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs
Scow Institute - The Institute was founded in 2001 by retired Judge Alfred J. Scow, the first Aboriginal person called to the Bar and to the Bench in British Columbia, and other interested persons.
- Research Library - online articles on Aboriginal issues
- Other general:
- Elaine Cubbins: Techniques for Evaluating American Indian Web Sites.
- Aboriginal Resources and Services - Library Archives Canada.
- B.C. Archives
- First Nation Information Project - Canadian focus, with a directory of nearly 50 First Nations' homepages.
- First Nations Seeker: Directory of Canada's First Nations Portals - also a good source for Names of First Nations both authentic and anglicized
- Native Web - links to major news stories, announcements, and events concerning indigenous peoples worldwide.
- Resources for Aboriginal Studies (University of Saskatchewan) - databases of archival material held in Saskatchewan archives and concerned with Métis and aboriginal studies. Included are databases of historic photographs and archival material (textual, audio, film, maps, etc.), inlcuding the Northwest Resistance Digitization Project.
ANOTHER LIBRARY GUIDE
- Canadian Research Index - Includes federal, provincial and municipal government publications. Keep track of the Microlog Report number and find the report on fiche on 6th floor. Alternatively, search the department site, online.
- Library Archives Canada, Archives Search engine e.g. search for "nurses" for archives/fonds related to them
- Library of Parliament - Parliamentary Information and Research Service Publications - Briefs on issues, Bills, etc. E.g.
- GPO Access - A well-organized list of U.S. government sites by topic.
- Asian Development Bank -
- United Nations
- United Nations Entities Specializing in Gender Issues:
- UNIFEM - United Nations Development Fund for Women
- Women Watch (U.N. Inter-Agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWGE) -
- United Nations - World Health Organization, Country Profiles
First Nations Related web guides
Anthropology Art and Culture | Bookstore | Business & Economic Development | Education |Government | Land Claims | Language & Literature | Law | Women's Studies
- First Nations Terminology guide