Education: Additional Resources
French Language Resources
See Ressources et outils en ligne pour l'éducation en français for help finding these resources at the SFU Library.
- British Columbia
- Curriculum Documents (aka Integrated Resource Packages): Provincially required curriculum learning outcomes, suggested ideas for instruction, lists of recommended learning resources (books, videos, electronic resources, etc.) and possible methods for teachers to use in evaluating students' progress.
See also the Catalogue of Learning Resources (aka Grade Collections). Many of these provincially recommended resources are available in the SFU Library's Curriculum Collection: This collection of K-12 textbooks, selected curriculum documents, and books for children and young adults is located on the 2nd Floor of the Bennett Library.
- NEW: SFU Library's Collection of Recommended Learning Resources: An Excel workbook, with subject tabs (Math, Social Studies, etc.). This spreadsheet lists all of the provincially recommended resources currently available at SFU Library.
- Western and Northern Canadian Protocol: Common curriculum frameworks in development for K-12 subject areas.
- Curriculum Services Canada: Includes Classroom Resources page with lists of provincially approved textbooks across Canada, supplementary classroom resources, and their own teacher-developed resources.
- British Columbia & Canada
- BC Teachers' Federation Teaching Resources: Includes teaching resources developed by the BCFT on such topics as Peace and Global Education, Social Justice, and Diversity (ESL, Learning Assistance, Special Education). Also links to the Federation's provincial specialist associations, excellent sources of subject-specific teaching information and resources.
LearnNowBC Learning Resources: Professionally developed online learning resources in various subject areas taught in BC
- Aboriginal Canada Portal: Resources for Teachers: Links to lesson plans, activities and other resources for teachers
- The History Education Network: Includes lesson plans, assessments tools, and other resources for teachers.
- Canada's History: Canadian history lesson plans that can be searched by grade levels, themes, or eras.
- Canadian Space Agency: Lesson plans and learning resources for educators and students of all ages divided into popular themes such as robotics, spacewalking, microgravity, ISS, astronomy, etc.
- Community Learning Network (CLN): Website designed to help K-12 teachers integrate technology into the classroom. Over 5,800 annotated links to educational sites with free resources, all organized by theme pages and keyword search.
- CyberMuse: Art education website for teachers produced by the National Gallery of Canada. Includes lesson plans, activities, and how-to videos.
- Environment Canada: Lesson plans, teachers guides, and supplementary resources to "help you bring the environment into your classrooms."
- grunt gallery: Guides and lesson plans for secondary school "centered around projects initiated or supported by the artist-run centre"
- Imaginative Education Research Group: Examples of lesson plans and units (as well as planning frameworks) designed to engage students' imaginations.
- K-12 Study Canada: Lesson plans created by educators at the annual STUDY CANADA Summer Institute and covering a variety of topics commonly taught by Canadian teachers.
- Learning Centre for Teachers (Library and Archives Canada): Lesson plans and activities can be found via their Educational Resources database.
- Science Lesson Plans: From the Government of Canada's Science & Technology site.
- Statistics Canada Learning Resources: Provides access to reference material, lesson plans, teachers' kits and more.
- Stewart Resource Centre (Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation): Teacher-prepared unit plans that can be searched by subject.
- UNICEF Canada: Global Classroom Resources: Elementary and secondary curriculum resources as well as multimedia games and more
- United States & International
- BioEd Online: Extensive selection of Biology-related lesson plans and units.
- CanTeach: Online resources for educators including hundreds of lesson plans, thousands of links, and several discussion lists.
- Curriki: Free member website for educators to share curricula and instructional materials.
- Doing What Works: Research-based recommendations from the U.S. Department of Education for effective teaching practices in a variety of areas.
- Gateway to Educational Materials (GEM): Over 50,000 lesson plans, activities, and other educational resources.
- NASA - Education Materials: Searchable collections of lesson plans, activities, and video clips from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- WritingFix: Lessons, resources, and inservice ideas created by teachers via the Northern Nevada Writing Project.
- SFU Library Curriculum Collection: Includes K-12 textbooks and fiction and non-fiction books for children and young adults. Search this collection through the library catalogue
- Media Resources (DVDs, videos, etc.)
- Education Central: The Faculty of Education's Education Central has an excellent collection of educational DVDs and videos, with titles covering a wide number of learning resources. These materials are available on a sign-out basis for student, staff, and faculty use.
- Media Resource Centre at SFU Bennett Library (Burnaby): Sound recordings, videorecordings, DVDs, 16 mm films and fine arts slides available for use by the SFU community for research, teaching and study. Search this collection through the library catalogue.
- New Media Collection at the SFU Fraser Library (Surrey): Includes thousands of DVDs, videos, sound recordings, and images.
- Media Resources Online (streaming videos and clips)
- National Film Board: The NFB's online Screening Room provides free access to over 700 productions, films, trailers and clips from their world-renowned collection.
- CBC Digital Archives: Collection of radio and and TV news clips online. Many of these are integrated into lesson plans for various grade levels.
- Education in Video: An online collection of streaming videos of students and teachers in actual classrooms - developed specifically for training and developing teachers
- Films on Demand (Canada): Humanities and Social Sciences: Over 3500 streaming videos the Humanities and Social Sciences Collection of Films on Demand
- Media Smarts: Canadian resources for media education including lesson plans.
- PBS Teachers: Resources for the Classroom: Multimedia resources and professional development opportunities for educators. Organized by grade and subject.
- TeacherTube: Website of free online education videos and clips created by teachers and students.
- MAS Ultra - School Edition: Full-text of of articles, reports and special issues of over 460 popular magazines at secondary school level
Tests and Testing
Formal examinations prepared by the BC Ministry of Education are available online from their Provincial Examinations web page.
The SFU Library does not have a collection of standardized tests. Tests that have been published within books or journal articles will meet many of your research needs. Some of these tests can be located through searches in ERIC for education-related tests or in PsycINFO for psychological tests. Sources of further information about tests include:
- Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY): Provides descriptive information about the tests listed, plus information about reliability and validity, and reviews by qualified professionals.
- Tests in Print (TIP): Comprehensive bibliography of commercially available English language tests.
For more information see our guide to Psychological Tests and Measurements
Other SFU Library Research Guides