If you need help getting started, our Start Your Research Here guide provides a step by step explanation of the library research process and includes tips and links to important information resources.
SFU Library Catalogue Search Tips (Sept 2017)
Search the Library Catalogue to find both print and digital books.
You can also search specific ebook collections such as:
- eBook Collection (EBSCO) - Contemporary books and classic works of literature and history.
- ebrary - Resources for labour studies, including academic scholarship as well as publications from international agencies such as International Labour Office, International Monetary Fund, and World Bank.
- MyiLibrary - Includes labour topics.
- Business Source Complete - This database offers information in virtually every area of business including accounting & tax, banking, finance & insurance, construction, computer science, economics and much more.
- CBCA - Fulltext Business - In-depth access to a broad range of Canadian business periodicals.
America: History and Life - Canadian & United States history
CBCA Complete - Canadian Business & Current Affairs (CBCA) Complete combines full text and indexed content from all four CBCA database subsets (Reference, Current Events, Business and Education).
Canadian Newsstream - This database offers access to the full text of over 350 Canadian newspapers from Canada's leading publishers.
- Econlit - Index to economics journals and working papers.
- OECDiLibrary - Provides full-text access to many of publications published by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Publications include country studies, forecasting publications, reports, periodicals, and socio-economic databases. Topics covered include agriculture, developing economies, education, employment, energy, environment, migration, social issues, and sustainable development.
- UNIDO: Industrial Statistics Database - Available only within the library through public computers, this database provides access to industrial statistics at the 3-digit level of Revision 2 of the International Standard Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC).
- GEOBASE For "geography and "labour" topics.
- Canadian Research Index - Canadian government publications. All documents found in the database are available in the Microlog microfiche collection (JL 044 37) on the Sixth Floor of the Bennett Library. Individual reports are filed by the MICROLOG NUMBER.
- CANLII - Largest free web resource providing access to legal documents from Canada's federal, provincial and territorial governments for both legal practitioners and the general public
- Lexis Nexis - Full-text database containing comprehensive information in the areas of news, government, business, and law from newspapers, journals, reports, cases, and patents from the early 1970s to the present. Content is strongly American with significant coverage of Canadian and international topics.
- Negotech - Database of recent Canadian collective agreements.
- America: History and Life - Indexes literature on all aspects of U.S. and Canadian history, culture and current affairs from prehistoric times to the present
- Historical Abstracts - Indexes literature on the history of the world since 1450 except for the United States and Canada.
- Political Science Complete - Indexes full-text articles from over 480 journals, and indexing and abstracts for nearly 2,100 additional titles. PSC has a worldwide focus, reflecting the globalization of contemporary political discourse. PSC offers literature on general topics in labour studies as well as geographically-specific literature.
- Sociological Abstracts - Abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioural sciences. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from thousands of serials publications, and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers.
- Social Sciences Full Text - Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language social science journals. Social Sciences Full Text includes full-text articles from hundreds of journals, covering the latest concepts, theories and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences.
- Women's Studies International - with feminist perspectives.
These databases cover the major areas of labour studies research, however, there are more databases specific to geographic regions, specific time periods or relevant to a specific group of people. Consult the full list of Business, Economics, History, and Sociology databases to find other relevant resources.
These journals must be searched individually, so if you are interested in searching multiple journals simultaneously, you may want to use one of the databases listed above.
Here are the titles of a few journals useful in the area of labour studies: