Table of Contents
Check the main Geography resource page for links to library research guides prepared for specific courses.
The following are core databases for journal articles in Physical Geography. Other databases may be useful for your topic - access all of the databases that SFU Library subscribes to here.
Web of Science
Search for journal articles, citation counts, journal impact factors, and more. Major multidisciplinary academic database with excellent coverage of the sciences.
Search for journal articles in human and physical geography, earth sciences, ecology, geology, and environmental sciences.
Search for journal articles in the area of environmental studies in this database
Covers geology literature.
The Electronic Journals Database provides fulltext access to online journals available to SFU Library users.
- The Dictionary of Physical Geography [online] | [print]
- The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Physical Geography [print]
- Glossary of Hydrology [print]
- Illustrated Glossary of Alpine Glacial Landforms
- A Dictionary of Geography (Oxford) [online] | [print]
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Geography [online]
- The Houghton Mifflin Dictionary of Geography [online] | [print]
- Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary [print]
- Vocabulaire canadien du quaternaire = Canadian Quaternary Vocabulary [print]
- Companion Encyclopedia of Geography, the Environment and Humankind [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Deserts [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Geographical Features in World History: Europe and the Americas [print]
- Encyclopedia of Geomorphology [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences [print]
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences [print]
- Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science [online] | [print]
- Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment [online] | [print]
- The Encyclopedia of Trees: Canada and the United States [print]
- Geo-Data: the World Geographical Encyclopedia [online] | [print]
- Handbook of Soil Sciences [online] | [print]
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences [print]
- The SAGE Handbook of Biogeography [print]
- Tree Book: Learning to Recognize Trees of British Columbia (Forest Service BC)
- Water Encyclopedia [online] | [print]
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography (online textbook)
- Virtual Geography Department (links to online Geography courses and curriculum materials).
- Geoscience Data Repository for Geophysical Data (free databases from NRCAN)
- Digital Terrain Data (NOAA)
- Water Survey of Canada (Hydat CD-ROM available at SFU Library)
- GeoConnections - Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI)
- NSIDC Data Catalog - National Snow and Ice Data Center, US
- Web Soil Survey (WSS) (Sources of soil data, USDA)
- Water Data (USGS)
- National Climatic Data Center (US Department of Commerce): World's largest archive of climate data.
Detailed instructions for finding maps at SFU Library are in the Geography - Finding Maps and Atlases guide. See the Map Collection guide for more complete information about map resources at SFU Library. The SFU Library collection also includes atlases, sheet maps, digital maps, air photos and gazeteers.
- Geoscape Vancouver
- GeoGratis (NRCan) - Portal provided by the Earth Sciences Sector (ESS) of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) which provides geospatial data at no cost via your Web browser. The collections include raster data, such as satellite images or scanned topographic maps, vector data, such as national-scale frameworks (grouped by theme), and a database of ground control points.
- Google Earth
- Google Maps
- Data, Maps & Tools Directory (NRCan)
- BC Geology Maps - Ministry of Energy and Mines
- USGS National Geologic Map Database
- Scholarly Societies - Geography Links to 45 scholarly societies dealing with Geography.
- Canadian Association of Geographers
- Royal Canadian Geographic Society
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Energy and Mines
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
- U.S. Geological Survey (includes USGS Earthquake Hazards Program where you will find information on earthquakes around the world).
For information on additional government sources, see Government Resources web page.
- Making Sense: A Student's Guide to Research and Writing: Geography & Environmental Sciences [print]
- Communicating in Geography and the Environmental Sciences [print]
- Study Skills for Geography, Earth and Environmental Science Students [print]
- How to do Your Dissertation in Geography and Related Disciplines [online] | [print]
- SFU Library's guides to APA, MLA and Chicago/Turabian styles.
- Guide to Citing Maps and Atlases (McMaster University)
- Referencing and Citation Management Software