On this page
- Research guides
- Style Guides
Sources to Consider
- Journal articles
- First Nations and General Databases
- Canadian Databases
- Government Reports
- Primary Documents
- Government information
If you need help, please contact Jenna Walsh, Indigenous Initiatives Librarian & Liaison for First Nations Studies, Archaeology, Environment, and Resource & Environmental Management at 778.782.9378 or email@example.com or Ask a librarian.
Professor: Rudy Reimer/Yumks
Course Outline: FNST 301 Issues in Applied First Nations Studies Research (Fall 2013)
- Start Your Research Here Guide
- Popular versus scholarly sources [video]
- Library Catalogue Search Guide
- Fast Search | SFU Library
- Finding Journal Articles
- Library Research Tutorials
- Citation Management Software
- Information for Authors & Style Guide. Society for American Archaeology (SAA) - Go to page 16 to see citation formats
- First Nations Terminology
Sources to Consider
- Guides: How to find journal articles guide,
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?,
- Popular vs scholarly -- see highlights
- How to Critically Evaluate Sources
- Moving from Citation to Article
- Electronic Journals
First Nations and General Databases
- Bibliography of Native North Americans (BNNA) - from 17th century to present. Includes citations to books, articles, and govenment report about Native North American culture, history, and life, archaeology, multicultural relations, gaming, governance, legend, and literacy.
- Native Health Databases - bibliographic information and abstracts of health-related articles, reports, surveys, and other resource documents pertaining to the health and health care of American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Canadian First Nations.
- Academic Search Complete - multi-disciplinary
- America: History and Life - focus is North American history, including Canada
- Anthropology Plus Unites Harvard's Anthropological Literature and the Royal Anthropological Institute's Anthropological Index Online
- AnthroSource Full-text journals published by the American Anthropological Association.
- CINAHL with Full Text CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature)is the authoritative resource for nursing and allied health professionals, students, educators and researchers.
- Environment Complete - Indexes over 1,900 environmental journals, with fulltext access to about 750. Also available is fulltext access to over 200 monographs.
- Google Scholar - also try it for "cited reference searches", i.e. who has cited your "key" resources
- JSTOR - archival..... does not cover the current 5-7 years of journals.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts - linguistics, language and speech, language and hearing pathology.
- Medline - health literature
- Project MUSE Search,
- Sage Research Methods Online Access to research methods online from books and numerous reference sources. E.g. search for "oral history"
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Sociological Abstracts Theoretical and applied sociology, social science, and policy science.
- Women's Studies International
- First Nations Periodical Index - no longer updated
- Aboriginal Archives Guide - by Association of Canadian Archivists
- IPortal - Indigenous Studies Research Tool - (University of Saskatchewan Library)
- CBCA Fulltext Reference- Canadian popular and scholarly journals, from mid 1980s onwards.
- Canadian Electronic Library Full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups. Includes the Canadian Health Research Collection
- Canadian Newsstream - fulltext of major Canadian daily newspapers from about mid-80s.
- British Columbia Newspaper Index - Indexes the Province, the Vancouver Sun, and The Victoria Times Colonist (1990-).
- AMMSA Archives - from Aboriginal Multi Media Society of Alberta -- fulltext of First Nations newspapers some going back to 1983. Titles covered include: Alberta Sweetgrass (from 1993), Buffalo Spirit (from 2004), Ontario Birchbark (from 2002), Raven's Eye (from 1997), Saskatchewan Sage (from 1996), Windspeaker (from 1983)
Globe & Mail Canada's Heritage from 1844
Searchable full-text of the Globe and Mail from 1844 to 2001. Includes major events in Canadian history, plus thousands of images, advertisements, and political cartoons dating back to the pre-confederation era.
Covers major news in Canada and around the world during this period, including every image, advertisement, classified ad, birth and death notice.
- Theses Canada Central access point for Canadian theses (Masters and PhD), including free full text of theses since 1998.
- Finding SFU Theses and Project
- Digital Dissertations -Theses form North America and over 200 other institutions from around the world
- Canadian Research Index - Canadian Government reports.
- Early Canadiana Online - (see Primary Documents section for more details) -- Full text, online collection of more than 3,000 books and pamphlets documenting Canadian history from the first European contact to the late 19th century.
- Human Relations Area Files (eHRAF) - Covers the cultures of the world. Full-text data on world archaeological traditions.
Early Canadiana Online
Full text, online collection of more than 3,000 books and pamphlets documenting Canadian history from the first European contact to the late 19th century, including "Journals of the Legislative assembly of the Province of Canada", "Sessional papers" of the Dominion of Canada. Browse by collections such as "Native Studies", "Jesuit Relations", "Fur Trade and the Hudson's Bay Company"
Early Encounters in North America (1534 - 1850)
-includes works by American Indians, Canadian First Peoples, and many European groups, capturing first impressions, hundreds of years of observations of flora and fauna, descriptions of encounters with indigenous peoples, and new language elements as they evolved. Also resents the perspectives of traders, slaves, missionaries, explorers, soldiers, officials, and others.Look for "Cultural events" or "Environment" or "Encounters", etc. from the Table of Contents.
- North American Indian Thought and Culture / also known as North American Indian Biographical Database - full text and audio file. Organized in a similar manner to "Early Encounters in North America" database. It contains biographies, oral histories, personal stories, speeches by chiefs, depictions of historically important events, biographies from contemporary Indian newspapers.
House of Commons Parliamentary Papers (Britain)
- papers issued by the British House of Commons between 1801-1900 in all formats, including Bills, Reports of Royal Commissions, Reports of Select Committees, Accounts and Papers, and Command Papers. These are the working documents of British government for all areas of social, political, economic and foreign policy.
- Topics include Canadian confederation, the abolition of slavery, electoral reform, affairs of the British in North America, and more.
- Search by keywords: (canad* or british north america) and (aborig* or indian* or native*) OR (Hudson's Bay company) and (aborig* or indian* or native*)
Sessional Papers / Debates / Journals
NOTE: The "Sessional papers", the "Debates" and the "Journals" of the House of Commons of Canada (Dominion of Canada/ Legislature of Canada) are all part of the Early Canadiana Online database.
- Canada. Legislature. Legislative Council. Journals of the Legislative Council of the Province of Canada 1841-1866
- Canada. Legislature. Legislative Assembly. Sessional Papers 1860-1866.
- Canada. Parliament. Sessional Papers of the Dominion of Canada 1868-1925
- "Ceased publication in 1925." "In 1925, the House of Commons ceased to order annual departmental reports to be printed as Sessional papers." Cf. Note, Annual departmental reports, 1924-25, vol. 1, p. " (quoted from Library record, mb)
- Continues: Canada. Legislature. Legislative Assembly. Sessional Papers 9_01607
- Continued by: Canada. Parliament. Annual departmental reports Ottawa : King's Printer, [1925-1955]
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Journals of the House of Commons of the Dominion of Canada 1868-1976
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Journals of the House of Commons. Current Sessions of the House of Commons, 1994 on
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Official report of the debates of the House of Commons of the Dominion of Canada 1883-
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Debates of the House of Commons of the Dominion of Canada 1875-1882
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Appendix to ... of the Journals of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada 1842-1859)
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada(formerly -- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada)
- For land claim agreements, community profiles, maps, legislation, and treaty information. See "research & statistics" and "publications"
- Royal Commission on Aborginal Peoples report highlights
Select the "popular resources" from left hand column, and then the "Aboriginal Resources". Use the search engine on top right to search any of the following: library, archives or the entire website..
Aboriginal Resources and Services
- Aboriginal Peoples - Guide to the Records of the Government of Canada -- Guides, research assistance, and finding aids for documents in the National Archives, including Record Group 10 (Indian Affairs documents), Metis scrip records, major provincial accessions, band and agency records, and selected federal government records. E.g.
- Researching Your Aboriginal Ancestry at Library and Archives Canada
- Record Group (RG) 10 (Indian Affairs) Inventory
Red and Black Series: Evolution of Department of Indian Affairs' Central Registry Record Keeping Systems: 1872-1984 by Sean Darcy - (Aboriginal Documentary Heritage)
- Treaties, Surrenders and Agreements by John Leslie
- Bands and Agencies
- Aboriginal Resources and Services
- Aboriginal Soldiers and the First World War by James Dempsey
Native Residential Schools in Canada: A Selective Bibliography
Archives Canada is an official archival portal maintained The Canadian Council of Archives (CCA) and is a joint initiative of CCA, the Provincial – Territorial Archival Networks, and Library and Archives Canada. Use the View option halfway down the main screen to look at digital collection images.
- Library Archives Canada's Link to Archival Organizations
- Canadian Archival Resources on the Internet
Provincial and Territorial Archives
- BC Archives -
- B.C. Archival sources (93)
- All Provincial Archives
Association of Canadian Archivists, check out their Outreach documents to learn more about archives. E.g.
For performance of federal departments of the Government of Canada, check out the reports of the Office of the Auditor General of Canada.
- How Archives Organize Their Holdings, How to Use an Archives
- Aboriginal Archives Guide
- Archivaria -- a very useful professional journal for their members.... do a search for your group, as well as more general searches such as "First Nations" (results linked).
- Search by keywords in the search engine (e.g. first nations, aboriginal, indian, native)
- Examine their section on Reports & Publications (Audit reports, Reports to Parliament, Reports to Northern Legislative Assemblies)