Systematics, taxonomy and nomenclature
- Integrated Taxanomic Information System - Use to find authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, fungi, and microbes.
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser - from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Species 2000 - Indexing the world's known species
- Springer index of viruses. QR 360 S674 2002
- Synopsis and classification of living organisms. QH 83 S89 (2 vols.) - Systematic positions and affinities of all living organisms or all taxa down to the family level.
- Tree of Life - Informatin about phylogeny and biodiversity.
- Virus taxonomy: classification and nomenclature. QR 394 I58 2005
- E-Flora of BC - Electronic atlas of the plants of British Columbia
- Flora of North America - Information on the names, taxonomic relationships, continent-wide distributions, and morphological characteristics of all plants native and naturalized found in North America north of Mexico
- International code of botanical nomenclature
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) - Database of the names and associated basic bibliographical details of all seed plants.
- Names in Current Use for Extant Plant Genera
- Plants of British Columbia : scientific and common names of vascular plants, bryophytes, and lichens. QK 203 B7 Q53 1998
- Synonymized checklist of the vascular flora of the United States, Canada, and Greenland. QK 110 K37 1994 (2 vols. ) - Provides names and synonyms in current use of native or naturalized plants.
- Birds of North America [online] - A continually updated, comprehensive reference for life history information on over 700 different bird species
- FishBase [online] - A global information system about fishes.
- International code of zoological nomenclature [online]
- Howard and Moore complete checklist of the birds of the world. QL 677 H75 2003
- Mammal species of the world. [online]
- Nomina insecta Nearctica: a check list of the insects of North America. QL 473 N65 1996 (4 vols.) - Scientific names applied to the insects of North America.
Associations and organizations
- American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS)
- Canadian Federation of Biological Societies (CFBS)
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Linnean Society
- Society for Conservation Biology
- University of Waterloo Electronic Library Scholarly Societies - Biology
- Government of British Columbia
- B.C. Conservation Data Centre
- B.C. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
- B.C. Ministry of Forests
- B.C. Ministry of Health Services
- B.C. Ministry of Environmental Management
- Government of Canada
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Forest Service
- Canadian Museum of Nature
- Environment Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Health Canada
- Parks Canada
- International Governments on the WWW
- IUCN - International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources
- USAgov: an official United States Government website
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Directories of web sites
- BioMed Central Catalog of Databases on the Web
- Infomine - Biological, Agricultural and Medical Sciences
- Toxicology and Environmental Health (U.S. National Library of Medicine)