On this page
- Contact Info
- Library Guides & Help with Writing Essays
- Steps in the process
- Find Background information
- Find Books in the Library
- Find Journal Articles in Databases
- Directories of Websites
Library Guides & Help with Writing Essays
- What is plagiarism?
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- More Tutorials (interactive)
- Citation Management:
For help with writing essays, check the link to: Student Learning Commons
At the start
- Think about your topic and
- Look for background information (encyclopedias, handbooks, introductory texts).
- Formulate a research question
- Brainstorm about keywords for each concept for your topic
- Create a search strategy before entering words into the search engine(s)
- Make a note of any key authors or references (citations)
What is the effect of the Anti-terrorism Act and how is it used for national security?
Brainstorm about your question.
- Why was it introduced?
- When did it come into effect?
- How has it been applied by the police or Canada's Border Agency?
- What is the effect on people?
- Has any particular group been the focus or target or has there been racial profiling?
- Has it affected people's rights?
Create A Concept Map using the worksheet
|Concept 1||Concept 2||Concept 3||Concept 4||Concept 5|
|Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms|
|border security||law or laws or regulations||federal*||racial profil*||civil rights|
|national security||legislat*||provinc*||"people of color"||deten* or detain*|
|public safety||policy or policies|
- Use "or" to combine same concept; Use "and" to combine different concepts.
- Use asterisk (*) the truncation symbol, for variation on endings of words (child* will find: child, children, childless, childlike). "$, ?, *, !" are common truncation symbols. Most use asterisk.
- Use "quotation marks" to search for an exact phrase
- When using one line search box, also put braces "()" around your synonyms. E.g. (elderly or seniors or aged)
- Alternate spellings: use American/Canadian spelling (honour or honor). Use abbreviations and full words (TV or television)
- Geographic concepts: Specific to broader ( Vancouver or BC or British Columbia or Canada or North America)
Alternate terms: Subject headings/Descriptors/Thesauri words (youth or adolescents or teenagers or young adults);
- Thesauri words increase relevancy.
If there is only "one-line search box", try using combining different concepts in the following way:
- (____________ or __________) AND (__________ or ________)
Get an overview of a topic. Use encyclopedias, handbooks or textbook for overviews, definitions, and to identify key authors and ideas.
- The Encyclopedia of British Columbia
- Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America HV 12 E497 2005
- Encyclopedia of Terrorism HV 6431 K883 2003
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
For help, see the Library Guide, "How to use the Library Catalogue".
Keywords To Consider:
- canad* AND society AND (race OR racism OR ethnic*)
- Canad* and immigr* and (visible minorit* or ethnic*)
- canad* and government* and policy and immigr*
- canad* and society and social policy
- foreign work* and canad* and governm*
- seasonal work* and canad* and governm*
- social assistance and Canada and policy
- live-in care and canad*
- Anti-Terrorism Act
- (anti-terror* or national security or border security)
(law or legislat* or regulat*)
(race or racial or islam*)
(human rights or detain* or deten*)
- The Indian Act
- Canada. Anti-terrorism Act
- Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy
- Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy -- History
- Canada. Indian Act.
- Canada - Race relations - Textbooks
- Canada - Social Conditions
- Canada Social Conditions Statistics
- Canada - Social Conditions - Textbooks
- Canada -- Social policy
- Canada Social Problems
- Child welfare -- Government policy -- Canada
- Citizenship -- Canada
- Domestics -- Canada
- Domestics -- British Columbia -- Vancouver
- Equality -- Canada
- Ethnicity - Canada
- Foreign Workers Canada
- Foreign Workers Canada Evaluation
- Foreign Workers Canada Social Conditions
- Foreign Workers Government Policy British Columbia
- Foreign workers -- Government policy -- Canada
- Foreign Workers Legal Status Laws Etc Canada
- Immigrants Canada
- Immigrants Canada Economic Conditions
- Immigrants Canada Economic Conditions Statistics
- Immigrants Canada History
- Immigrants Canada Social Conditions
- Immigrants Canada Statistics
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Social conditions -- Statistics
- Immigrants -- Canada -- Statistics
- Immigrants -- Social conditions -- Canada
- Income -- Canada -- Statistics
- Income Distribution Canada
- Income Distribution Canada Statistics
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Government relations
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Government relations -- Textbooks.
- Indigenous Peoples Canada Social Conditions
- Indigenous Peoples Canada Statistics
- Indigenous women -- Violence against -- Canada
- Minorities - Canada
- Minorities Civil Rights Canada
- Multiculturalism Canada - Government Policy
- Native peoples -- Canada -- Social conditions -- Statistics
- National security -- Law and legislation -- Canada
- Poor Canada Statistics
- Poverty Canada
- Poverty -- Canada -- Government policy
- Poverty Canada Statistics
- Poverty -- Government policy -- Yukon.
- Poverty Ontario
- Race discrimination -- Canada
- Racism - Canada
- Royal Commission on the Status of Women in Canada. Report of the Royal Commission on the Status of Women in Canada -- Congresses
- Public Welfare Canada
- Public welfare -- Canada -- History
- Social classes -- Canada
- Social integration -- Canada
- Social problems -- Canada
- Social Service Canada
- Terrorism -- Canada -- Prevention
- Temporary employees -- Government policy -- Canada
- Vancouver B C Emigration And Immigration
- Vancouver B C Social Conditions
- Welfare Recipients Canada
- Welfare Recipients Employment Canada
- Women immigrants -- Canada -- Social conditions.
- Women Immigrants Employment Canada
How to Find Journal Articles.
- "Where Can I Get This?" will search for print or electronic version of the item. If SFU Library does not own it, then request a copy through the Document Delivery Service (free).
CBCA Full Text Reference
- Access to popular & business magazines as well as scholarly journals.
Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris
Contains the full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups.
- Covers the major Canadian dailies, including the Vancouver Sun.
Sociology / Anthropology perspectives
- Key database for sociology and anthropology journals.
- Key anthropology journals.
Social Sciences Full Text
- Multi-disciplinary database.
- Academic Search Complete Multidisciplinary index to academic & popular journals
- Bibliography of Native North Americans Index for all aspects of Native North American culture, history, and life
- Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text Index to all aspects of criminal justice, including psychological.
- Women Studies International Indexes journals in women's studies covering topics such as gender, sexuality, sex roles, discrimination, family, employment
- BC Statistics
- Includes current socioeconomic statistics, quick facts, and historical tables
- Statistics Canada
- Library of Parliament - Parliamentary Information and Research Service Publications - Briefs on issues, Bills, etc.
- Metropolis Project - British Columbia -- research material on immigrants, migration, etc. Metropolis Canada, International site.
- PovNet - Building an online anti-poverty community