On this page
- Contact Info
- Library Guides & Help with Writing Essays
- Steps in the process
- Selected encyclopedias
- Find Books in the Library
- Find Journal Articles in Databases
- Directories of Websites
Library Guides & Help with Writing Essays
- What is plagiarism?
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- More Tutorials (interactive)
- Citation or reference management tools collect your journal article, book, or other document citations together in one place, and help you create properly formatted bibliographies in almost any style — in seconds. Citation management tools help you keep track of your sources while you work and store your references for future use and reuse.
For help with writing essays, check the link to: Student Learning Commons
Steps in the process
At the start
- Think about your topic and
- Look for background information (encyclopedias, handbooks, introductory texts).
- Formulate a research question
- Brainstorm about keywords for each concept for your topic
- Create a search strategy before entering words into the search engine(s)
- Make a note of any key authors or references (citations)
What is the effect of the Anti-terrorism Act and how is it used for national security?
Brainstorm about your question.
- Why was it introduced?
- When did it come into effect?
- How has it been applied by the police or Canada's Border Agency?
- What is the effect on people?
- Has any particular group been the focus or target or has there been racial profiling?
- Has it affected people's rights?
Identify Key Concepts
Create A Concept Map using the worksheet
|Concept 1||Concept 2||Concept 3||Concept 4||Concept 5|
|Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms||Related Terms|
|border security||law or laws or regulations||federal*||racial profil*||civil rights|
|national security||legislat*||provinc*||"people of color"||deten* or detain*|
|public safety||policy or policies|
Search Tips & Techniques
- Use "or" to combine same concept; Use "and" to combine different concepts.
- Use asterisk (*) the truncation symbol, for variation on endings of words (child* will find: child, children, childless, childlike). "$, ?, *, !" are common truncation symbols. Most use asterisk.
- Use "quotation marks" to search for an exact phrase
- When using one line search box, also put braces "()" around your synonyms. E.g. (elderly or seniors or aged)
- Alternate spellings: use American/Canadian spelling (honour or honor). Use abbreviations and full words (TV or television)
- Geographic concepts: Specific to broader ( Vancouver or BC or British Columbia or Canada or North America)
Alternate terms: Subject headings/Descriptors/Thesauri words (youth or adolescents or teenagers or young adults);
- Thesauri words increase relevancy.
If there is only "one-line search box", try using combining different concepts in the following way:
- (____________ or __________) AND (__________ or ________)
Get an overview of a topic. Use encyclopedias, handbooks or textbook for overviews, definitions, and to identify key authors and ideas.
- The Encyclopedia of British Columbia
- Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America HV 12 E497 2005
- Encyclopedia of Terrorism HV 6431 K883 2003
Find Books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
For help, see the Library Guide, "How to use the Library Catalogue".
Search for Topics Using Key Words
Keywords To Consider:
- canad* AND society AND (race OR racism OR ethnic*)
- Canad* and immigr* and (visible minorit* or ethnic*)
- canad* and government* and policy and immigr*
- canad* and society and social policy
- foreign work* and canad* and governm*
- seasonal work* and canad* and governm*
- social assistance and Canada and policy
- live-in care and canad*
- Anti-Terrorism Act
- (anti-terror* or national security or border security)
(law or legislat* or regulat*)
(race or racial or islam*)
(human rights or detain* or deten*)
- The Indian Act
Browse Books in the Library Catalogue Using Subject Headings
- Canada. Anti-terrorism Act
- Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy
- Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy -- History
- Canada. Indian Act.
- Canada - Race relations - Textbooks
- Canada - Social Conditions
- Canada Social Conditions Statistics
- Canada - Social Conditions - Textbooks
- Canada -- Social policy
- Canada Social Problems
- Child welfare -- Government policy -- Canada
- Citizenship -- Canada
- Communities -- Research -- Methodology
- Domestics -- Canada
- Domestics -- British Columbia -- Vancouver
- Equality -- Canada
- Ethnicity - Canada
- Foreign Workers Canada
- Foreign Workers Canada Evaluation
- Foreign Workers Canada Social Conditions
- Foreign Workers Government Policy British Columbia
- Foreign workers -- Government policy -- Canada
- Foreign Workers Legal Status Laws Etc Canada
- Immigrants Canada
- Immigrants Canada Economic Conditions
- Immigrants Canada Economic Conditions Statistics
- Immigrants Canada History
- Immigrants Canada Social Conditions
- Immigrants Canada Statistics
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Social conditions -- Statistics
- Immigrants -- Canada -- Statistics
- Immigrants -- Social conditions -- Canada
- Income -- Canada -- Statistics
- Income Distribution Canada
- Income Distribution Canada Statistics
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Government relations
- Indigenous peoples -- Canada -- Government relations -- Textbooks.
- Indigenous Peoples Canada Social Conditions
- Indigenous Peoples Canada Statistics
- Indigenous women -- Violence against -- Canada
- Minorities - Canada
- Minorities Civil Rights Canada
- Multiculturalism Canada - Government Policy
- Native peoples -- Canada -- Social conditions -- Statistics
- National security -- Law and legislation -- Canada
- Poor Canada Statistics
- Poverty Canada
- Poverty -- Canada -- Government policy
- Poverty Canada Statistics
- Poverty -- Government policy -- Yukon.
- Poverty Ontario
- Race discrimination -- Canada
- Racism - Canada
- Royal Commission on the Status of Women in Canada. Report of the Royal Commission on the Status of Women in Canada -- Congresses
- Public Welfare Canada
- Public welfare -- Canada -- History
- Social classes -- Canada
- Social integration -- Canada
- Social problems -- Canada
- Social Service Canada
- Terrorism -- Canada -- Prevention
- Temporary employees -- Government policy -- Canada
- Vancouver B C Emigration And Immigration
- Vancouver B C Social Conditions
- Welfare Recipients Canada
- Welfare Recipients Employment Canada
- Women immigrants -- Canada -- Social conditions.
- Women Immigrants Employment Canada
Find Journal Articles in Databases
How to Find Journal Articles.
- "Where Can I Get This?" will search for print or electronic version of the item. If SFU Library does not own it, then request a copy through the Document Delivery Service (free).
CBCA Full Text Reference
- Access to popular & business magazines as well as scholarly journals.
Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris
Contains the full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups.
- Covers the major Canadian dailies, including the Vancouver Sun.
Sociology / Anthropology perspectives
- Key database for sociology and anthropology journals.
- Key anthropology journals.
Social Sciences Full Text
- Multi-disciplinary database.
- Academic Search Complete Multidisciplinary index to academic & popular journals
- Bibliography of Native North Americans Index for all aspects of Native North American culture, history, and life
- Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text Index to all aspects of criminal justice, including psychological.
- Women Studies International Indexes journals in women's studies covering topics such as gender, sexuality, sex roles, discrimination, family, employment
- BC Statistics
- Includes current socioeconomic statistics, quick facts, and historical tables
- Statistics Canada
Directories of Websites
- Library of Parliament - Parliamentary Information and Research Service Publications - Briefs on issues, Bills, etc.
- Metropolis Project - British Columbia -- research material on immigrants, migration, etc. Metropolis Canada, International site.
- PovNet - Building an online anti-poverty community