On this page
The Curriculum Collection is located on the 2nd Floor of the Bennett Library (Burnaby). Designed for students in the Faculty of Education's Professional Development Program (PDP), the Curriculum Collection is also available to all members of the SFU community.
Choose "Curriculum Collection" from the drop-down menu to narrow your search to this collection.
Finding materials in this collection
Selected textbooks recommended for use in B.C. schools, including teachers' editions, form a major part of the collection. To find out which texts are recommended for a particular subject and grade level, check the BC Ministry of Education's Catalogue of Learning Resources.
Tips for finding textbooks:
- To find a specific textbook, search the Curriculum Collection by the author's name or by title.
- To find a textbook by grade level, search the Curriculum Collection by keyword and grade, e.g. science grade 6
- For a list of all the provincially-recommended resources available at SFU, see SFU Library's Collection of Recommended Learning Resources.
- Note: Out-dated texts will be removed as new texts are added, with some retained in the Lam Graduate Research Centre for historical research.
Books for children and young adults
The children's and young adult literature collection includes fairy and folk tales, picture books, fiction, comics/graphic novels, beginning readers and non-fiction/informational texts. See Children's Literature Information Resourcesfor more research resources.
Tips for finding children's literature:
- To find fiction books by topic, search the Curriculum Collection by keyword, e.g. halloween
- For fiction books, you can also browse the PZ call number range. Most of the literary works will be organized here.
- To find juvenile non-fiction, search the Curriculum Collection by keyword and "juvenile literature", e.g. astronomy and "juvenile literature"
- Note: In general, children’s literature (fiction and non-fiction) cannot be searched for in the Library Catalogue by grade level or age.
Finding other curriculum-related materials
The Ministry of Education designs the curriculum for schools in BC. Curriculum documents outline curricular competencies and content to be covered in each subject and grade.
New Curriculum Documents
Redesigned K-9 BC curriculum, to become the official curriculum in the 2016/2017 school year. Curriculum drafts are available for 10-12, and will become the official curriculum in the 2017/2018 school year.
Also called Integrated Resource Packages, these curriculum documents are being replaced by the new BC curriculum. The Curriculum Collection also has print copies of these documents, e.g. search Social Studies 11
Books that include lesson plans are shelved both in the general library collection, as well as in the Curriculum Collection. To find these materials, search the entire library collection (not just the Curriculum Collection). For example:
- Search the Library Catalogue by keyword and "lesson plan", e.g. mathematics and lesson plan
- For lesson-planning resources developed and shared online by teachers, see the PDP Information Resources guide
Teaching guides & books about teaching
Books on the study and practice of teaching are shelved both in the general library collection, as well as in the Curriculum Collection. To find these materials, search the entire library collection (not just the Curriculum Collection). For example:
- For books about teaching, search the Library Catalogue by keyword and "study and teaching", e.g. mathematics and "study and teaching"
- For teaching guides, search the Library Catalogue by keyword and (teacher guide OR teacher resource), e.g. mathematics and (teacher guide OR teacher resource)
What's not in the Curriculum Collection?
The Curriculum Collection does not generally include kits, games, pictures or any non-print material. Teaching aids in these formats are available in many school libraries and district resource centres.
Use the PDP Information Resources guide to find:
- More tips for finding books for teachers and teaching
- Lesson and unit planning resources
- Educational videos, games and images