You are here

Browse and search FAQs

  • Per the Copyright Act, the following are permitted for users at educational institutions in Canada:

    Instructors are permitted to make use of copyright protected materials in ways that other users are not for the purpose of providing education and instruction on the premises of an educational institution. 

    Using materials in the classroom

    Instructors are permitted to reproduce a work, or do any other necessary act, in order to display it for the purposes of education. This would include, for example, scanning an image in a textbook for inclusion in a PowerPoint presentation.  

    Instructors can play sound recordings for students on the premises of an educational institution, as long as the work is not an infringing copy. 

    They may also play radio or television programs live when they are being broadcast. It has been interpreted that this, arguably, includes webcasts. 

    In the classroom, instructors are permitted to reproduce and communicate works available on the Internet (provided that the works are not protected by “digital locks,” there is no notice specifically prohibiting the intended activity, and the work has not been made available in violation of the copyright owner’s rights). The source and, if possible, the creator's name must be cited.

    It is permissible to show a film or other cinematographic work as long as it is for educational or training purposes and as long as the work is not an infringing copy. 

    Instructors may copy news and news commentary from radio and television broadcasts for educational or personal use. 

    Distance Education

    Lessons containing copyright protected works beyond the fair dealing limits, including tests and exams, may be recorded and communicated (e.g. in Canvas) to students enrolled in the course, provided that the recording or copy is destroyed within 30 days after the end of the course and the institution takes measures to limit the audience to only students registered in the course. 


    There is a specific exception that permits reproducing copyright protected material for testing and examination purposes. Therefore, material protected by copyright can be reproduced, translated, preformed, or broadcast on university premises for a test or exam.  


    Works such as plays or music can be performed live by students without infringing copyright if the performance takes place on the premises of the school and the audience is primarily students of the school or instructors.

    See the Copyright Office's infographic for details.

  • Under copyright law, fair dealing allows you to make one copy of part of a work for yourself for the purposes of education, private study, research, parody, satire, review, criticism or news reporting. Please see "Is there a limit to how much I can copy?" for the SFU Fair Dealing guidelines as to how much of a work you can copy for purposes of your course assignments at SFU.

    Also, you may copy materials for which the university (e.g. the Library) has negotiated licenses according to the terms of the agreement.

    Please review SFU Policy R30.04 Copyright Compliance and Administration, the Application of Fair Dealing under Policy R30.04 and Application of Fair Dealing to the Student Activities of Learning and Research (R30.04 Appendix J) for more information.

  • Yes. The Copyright Act specifies that “every original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work” is protected by copyright, and this includes student work as well as your thesis. This means that your permission is required in order for an instructor to keep a copy to share it with future students.

    Additionally, SFU's Intellectual Property Policy specifies that "IP created exclusively by a student Creator in the course of completing the requirements for an academic degree or certificate is owned by the student Creator." Remember that if you are collaborating with a faculty member, or anyone else, you should discuss the intellectual property rights and any necessary agreements before beginning the project.

  • In recognition of their donation to SFU, Fraser Valley Real Estate Board member realtors may receive Library External Borrower cards at a 50% discounted rate, currently $50 for an annual card and $20 for a semester card.

    To obtain a card come to any of the three SFU Libraries and bring:

    • Fraser Valley Real Estate Board membership ID card
    • Picture ID (e.g. driver's license, BC ID)
  • Some textbooks include codes in order to access additional online material. When the library purchases a book with such a code, the information is removed and discarded as it is only valid for one user.

  • Yes.

    For more information, and to make a booking request, see: Booking films for classroom viewing

  • Yes. Laptops are available at all three SFU Libraries.

    Who can borrow laptops?

    SFU faculty, staff and students can borrow the laptops.

    Where can I get a laptop?

    Laptops are available at the Loans counter; return it to the same counter (please remember to turn it off first).

    How long can I borrow a laptop?

    The loan period is 4 hours with no renewals and no holds or bookings.

    Late fees of $10.00 per hour (or a portion of) will be charged on all laptops not returned on time. Borrowers are responsible for lost, stolen or damaged laptops and will be charged for replacing the laptop ($1,650), as well as a replacement fee ($100).

    How do I find out if a laptop is available?

    Library laptops are available to use throughout the SFU campuses only, an hour before library closing.

    Check to see if any laptops are available for checkout by phoning:

    • 778.782.4345 - W.A.C. Bennett Library, SFU Burnaby
    • 778.782.5050 - Belzberg Library, SFU Vancouver
    • 778.782.7411 - Fraser Library, SFU Surrey.

    Can I connect to wifi?

    Yes. Connectable to the SFU Wireless Network using your SFU computing username and password.

    Can I print from a Library laptop?

    Yes. You can send print jobs to any library/campus printer via the wireless network.

    How do I save my files?

    Do not save files to the desktop. See How can I save my work when I am using a computer in the Library? for different ways you can save your files.

    Can I borrow a laptop lock?

    Yes. Laptop locks are available at the W.A.C. Bennett Library, with a loan period of 24 hours.


  • Cell phone chargers are available for 4 hour loan at the check-out counter of the Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby), Fraser Library (SFU Surrey), and Belzberg Library (SFU Vancouver). These chargers will work with over 200 different types of phones.

  • Yes, as long as it is a legal, commercial copy played for the purpose of education, the audience is primarily students, and no profit is gained. There is no longer the need to ensure a public performance license is in place.

  • Yes, at the Bennett Library, you can eat food such as sandwiches, chocolate bars, or fruit in the group study rooms and large study room on Floor 2. You can have drinks anywhere in the Library provided they are in spill-proof containers.

    Snacks and drinks (in covered containers) are permitted in the Surrey and the Belzberg Libraries. Food is not allowed near the computers.

    See the SFU Library Food and Drink Policy for more information.